May 22, 2008

Cover story v.5.08


Cyndi Lauper's Bring Ya To The Brink. D'luvly noted it first, that this album cover references Cyndi's 25-yr-old megahit She's So Unusual. Awesome. I sure do hate those parental advisories though. Why can't they go on the back?

Ladytron's Velocifero. The whole package is a fantastic swoosh of Edward Gorey meets Klimt. Supercool art for a supercool band on the artistic rise.



Paul Weller's 22 Dreams. What's going on with the perspective in this painting/collage? It's kid of wonky. Reminds me a little bit of Prince's Around The World In A Day.



Eliza Carthy's Dreams Of Breathing Underwater. What a great photo. Eliza is a British folk artist of the old school tradition, but every blue moon she produces a more contemporary CD. I highly recommend her album Angels And Cigarettes, especially the songs Train and Perfect.


The Zutons' You Can Do Anything. They're having a ZZ Top Moment, aren't they? I approve. What a (literally) iconic picture. It rocks!

7 comments:

glossy said...

22 dreams reminds me of a patrick caulfield (my fav. artist of all time) piece. if only the tunes would live up to the cover...

Michael said...

Ladytron have delivered another great album. I can't get Ghosts out of my head.

meghan s said...

I love the Paul Weller cover with its dream like perspective. Its sort of real and not real at the same time. I am thinking it must have been done by the same artist who did the cover for the new Kevin Ayers album which is actually an amazingly good album. Based on that I have high hopes for 22 dreams.

toonsntunes said...

i think of the parental advisory labels as badges of honor. 'Hey kids, I've got swear words.' and since i love filth... I'll definitely pick it up. Lol...

Honestly... i love Cyndi... can't wait for this cd!!

DanProject76 said...

Listening to Cyndi'e Rocking Chair (with Basement Jaxx) right now! She really should have that hag Madonna's fame!

Daft Monk said...

The whole "Parental Advisory" seems a bit unnecessary on a Cyndi Lauper album as I can't imagine anyone under 30 giving it a listen.

xolondon said...

For those interested in the Kevin (Soft Machine)Ayers reference above, see this album cover:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000UUELJQ/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music