March 20, 2008

You have always waited for this moment to arrive



Occasionally American Idol transcends the Starz In Their Eyes-style horror and provides a moment that shuts me down. This week Irishwoman Carly Smithson chose one of my favorite Beatles songs, Blackbird, and she sang it right from the soul. It was sublime. Typically, Simon didn't get it because it wasn't Westlife or Leona pap. Carly explained why she chose the song afterward (watch here), but it doesn't take a genius to understand the emotional impact of that lyric on anyone. Simon tries so hard to manipulate the votes to what he wants - a cash cow singer. Whatever.

Remember too, when people trash Paul McCartney for being too la-dee-da, they forget that he, not John, wrote Blackbird. The original is on The White Album and has been covered hundreds of times. You can buy this version on American iTunes now.

3 comments:

duanemoody.com said...

I really like her, and I hope that she comes in second; that way, she can do a great album that won't be controlled by idol!

D'luv said...

I will cop to the fact that I have watched a grand total of about ten minutes of this season.

Michael said...

She did a nice job with one of my favorite Beatles song. I liked Sarah McLachlan's version from a few years ago as well.