March 8, 2008

Where were you in '78?


China Forbes. You may not know the name, but you probably know the voice in a very different guise. She's the lead singer for Pink Martini, who had a hit last year with Hey Eugene. Now she's done a solo record steeped in sounds of singer-songwriters like Sheryl Crow and the female artists of the 70's. It's called '78. What's strange is that her voice, so unique and wry in Pink Martini, becomes almost mundane in these arrangements. The title track is a dream: Carole King-esque moodiness with rainy day horns. What I've heard from the rest of the record is not as good. She's a singer in need of a mood. Note also that the album contains an alternate version of Hey Eugene.

You can hear '78 on her myspace, The Yellow Stereo has a song and China is now on iTunes US.

4 comments:

ww_adh said...

Wow, Pink Martini! I haven't heard about them in years. They played at a "queer prom" I attended in Portland in like 1996 or 1997.

babs said...

Pink Martini was on Letterman in the last year or so and "Hey Eugene" was so catchy I wondered if the whole album was as "hep-cat holiday" but not quite apparently.

As to where I was in '78, in PA, watching cartoons probably.

xolondon said...

I was in Atlanta playing with Legos.

D'luv said...

I like the line, "A Taste Of Honey was #1 / I cut my bangs and bought live Donna Summer."

I don't know a thing about Pink Martini... will check out.

In '78, my parents had moved from a year living completely in the sticks in Western PA to living in the suburbs, where we'd live till '86.