February 5, 2008

Mixtape: Life's not complete 'til your heart's missed a beat

Prefab Sprout, 1989, UK TV, Goodbye Lucille #1

First, a note to be clear: this is not an MP3 blog. There was some recent suggestion of that in a newspaper and it is just not the case. Now, onward:

I have to begin by acknowledging Paul and The Zapping, which has brought me many laughs and a lot of great tunes over about 3 years. I'm bored without him. In fact, it may be worse than the end of Sex And The City! I think I have the distinction (thus far) of being the only American blogger to have actually had a coffee with Paul. Call me a namedropper...

PopDose has a big piece (does he?) on Prefab Sprout, one of my favorite 80's bands - in fact, I've been writing a post on them for two years. Paddy McAloon has a voice that never fails to comfort me. PopDose didn't put up my favorite song from The Gunman album (Blue Roses), but they do talk about the connection between Sprout and Cher! That's Paddy and Wendy in the video above, doing the wistful Goodbye Lucille #1 - the vocals around minute two send chills down my spine. I love him. LOVE. HIM.

Doesn't it seem like Girls Aloud and Sugababes have already cycled through their albums in a matter of months? It will be interesting to see what they do to generate buzz. I can't see where these groups can go next. Their CDs have some good songs, but the freshness is gone. GA, in particular, made a mistake by not including a ballad on the CD - at this point their uptempos are sort of worn out. They just cannot sustain the hype by going after the same audience on each release.

Rolling Stone
did a small piece on Goldfrapp that has a very scary picture of Alison G.

Meanwhile the Róisín Murphy blog has some great live photos by a person called Filip Galetic. I especially like this one.

One of the great, great bands of the 90's was Knoxville TN's The Judybats. Their song Wasting Time is one of my favorites of all time. Leader singer Jeff Heiskell has a solo record that includes a cover of Lindsey Buckingham's Trouble. Jeff is a sophisticated writer. He has a countryish side, but I think he has a shiny pop heart.

Swing Out Sister are back? In Japan, natch. Is she the same girl?

Worst album cover of the year proclaimed now: Erykah Badu! Better still, check out this insanity.

Word is that The Feeling's current dancier single is an aberration on the album - that the CD is really like Twelve More Stops. I'm still mighty disappointed in their lack of promotion.

The Presidential race here in America is nailbiting. I have no clue how it is going to turn out and I follow this stuff daily. It changes daily. It seems pretty clear that John McCain will win the Republican nomination, which should have happened in 2000. He's not a religious nut, so at least that is good, but it's well known in DC that he is a raging asshole and less well known that he has some skeletons waiting to emerge. As for Democrats (which I am, quelle surprise), I don't know. There is a theory that McCain can be beaten only by Barack Obama. All will be revealed on Tuesday when it may be more clear who will get the delegates.

The new REM single has a good title, Supernatural Superserious. I hope I can muster up the strength to care.

Will Madonna's little film suck? I would not best against that possibility. At this point it seems we can assume Esther Ritchie will not tour in 2008 - how could she release an album and be in tour rehearsals at the same time?

The whory old Oscar Noms are tediously dull! I love Cate Blanchett, but the trend of "give her a nom for everything she does" is beyond tiresome. Don't get me started on the Original Song category.

Are any of you fans of American Music Club? They have a new album called The Golden Age that is
apparently upbeat. Which is a miracle given the usual mood of Mark Eitzel. Hear some of it at their myspace. My last comment about Mark Eitzel is that when you see him live, don't sit in the front row or you will be covered in his spit. That's the truth, bless.

Brazen horn toot: D'luv 28, XO nipping his chunky heels at 35 here.

Wikio - Top of the Blogs - Music


Nick said...

Hahaha I have had coffee with Paul as well so you'll have to share that distinction. He's become quite the celebrity, hasn't he?

Walt said...

Wow. I really miss the JudyBats. I'll have to search out Jeff's solo record. Thanks for the heads up.

xolondon said...

What Nick? That old whore Paul never told me that! Slut gets around.

Glad to know someone else knows the Judybats... down in the shacks where the sattelite dishes grow.

Walt said...

Now I've got that song stuck in my head. I'm popping that album on now. But I want to hear "Margot Known As Missy" first.

NonStopPop said...

Thanks for the shout-out for my Prefab Sprout piece. And kudos for the Judybats mention; I wasn't aware of Heiskell's solo record. (I sure loved that last indie record of the 'Bats, though.)

D'luv said...

Jeez, no bold for my name? Congrats for #35!

Oh. It's Kristen Again. *sigh* said...

What a coincidence! I was just listening to "Bonny" the other day - I said to V - this album is timeless. It doesn't sound like the 80's at all.

I saw the Judybats in the 90s at the 9:30 club when satellites came out - the title song on that album is still one of my faves. SH used to call me "Kristen Known as Krissy" remember? :) They were great live.

babs said...

I know of the Judybats through you, which may or may not count. Who knows.

Meant to vote, but got there too late and they wouldn't allow me to. Sadly, not the first time it's happened. It's not been a particularly shiny week, so am letting that particular guilt go.

paul @ www.thezapping.com said...

How exciting. I miss me too actually. I am toying with a brand new venture. We'll see.

I am mortified by the antipathy the feeling seem to be showing their album. Sigh.

I agree with Girls Aloud and Sugababes. Both albums seem old and tired now - perhaps i just played them too much...

Adem With An E said...

We're going to have to agree to disagree RE: the Aloud and the Babes. "Tangled Up" still excites me to the very core each time I play (which is a LOT,) BUT I'm now unsure of whether I prefer it over "Chemistry" anymore as I originally stated. I've been caning both a lot of late and have discovered I cannot decide.

You all need to get your bums to Australia so we can have some coffee together :)

Pipo said...

Hi! :D

I'm the "person named Filip Galetic" that posted the Roisin photos on the wonderful blog of her fan, Hopeless Optimist. Wanted to thank you for featuring them and for the compliments. If you want to see more of them, look for my album on Facebook, most of them are blurry but worth seeing!