January 5, 2008

When it comes to you, I can't wait



It's 2008 and Róisín is back. The perfect You Know Me Better is out this winter and above is a look at the cover photo shoot (the same one they did for Attitude magazine). That hat scares me. It looks like dirty feathers from grandma's attic. I bet it smells. A small price for the haute.

On Christmas Eve I received Róisín's live CD, Live At Ancienne Belgique, and it's a corker. The 9-minute live performance of Overpowered is much stronger than the studio version, with a killer intro and an insane electro breakdown at the end. Also excellent are the live versions of Checkin' On Me (which should be called Thumpin' On Me!), Primitive (minus the face slam) and Movie Star.

Sadly, Let Me Know is sort of muted and lacking the fizz of the original. It's more jazzy, bookended with extended jams that are just... boring... in the same way Prince extends some of his live songs ad nauseum.

I love it when she tells the Belgians they are a "very civilized people" at the end of the performance of You Know Me Better. Once again, she reminds me that I like my pop stars with heart and smarts... not self destructive, if you get my drift.

8 comments:

Doron said...

I cannot wait for the video for YOU KNOW ME BETTER.

I have also only just spotted the live version of OVERPOWERED from Fashion Rocks - it rocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8-eIZlJ_Rs

Phil said...

And here's the location:
http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub2844.html

The Great Northern Railway Tavern. Fab name, grotty area.

DanProject76 said...

Roisin is indeed no Britney. Phew.

paul @ www.thezapping.com said...

i'm kinda intruiged by the live cd. It's taken me a while to appreciate Roisin but i am liking her better and better with each passing listen...

countpopula said...

Brilliant hat.

D'luv said...

I've not taken the time to check out Reisling other than "Let Me Know," but you've convinced me now.

Phil said...

BTW, before reading I wondered why you were posting a Paul Young vid...

It looks like him anyway

Kurt said...

I'm Belgian and I saw her in Brussels: she was awesome. The gig was fantastic. One of the best moments of 2007!