December 2, 2007

XOvision: Robyn's Be Mine



This is a new video for Be Mine, the song that really lured me into Robyn's music. For some reason I'd been ignoring this, but it's artful stuff, more short film than video, if you know what I mean. PopJustice kids have noticed a lot of Madonna references, especially to Open Your Heart. There is an assumption that the little boy is a boy, but I am not so sure.

I love Robyn's edgy look. She doesn't always feel the need to feature cute or beautiful. I also admire her ability to do good work that probably doesn't cost a lot (Roisin shares this creativity). Be Mine may make it onto my best videos of 2007 list.

I feel like she is giving me what Bjork no longer does... here is a video interview with Robyn. No surprise, she's smart. And I love how she doesn't hold back about what she thought of Prince's live show.

BONUS: For those who wonder what happened to Felix Howard, the young model who played Madonna's sidekick in Open Your Heart, you'll be interested to know he became a songwriter, most notably of Sugababes hit, Overload. He looks quite grown up now...

5 comments:

DanProject76 said...

I think Robyn is going to win my Album Of The Year in my blog thing this year. I've played it to death and love this new video.

Yeah I know the album is old but it still counts!

Phil said...

Ha ha! Felix Howard! Who knew! The photo looks a little mugshot, but I've always been intrigued as to what happened to The Face cover star...

Robyn and Prince? Love her! But the recent Prince London live shows? Brilliant. Have to disagree! They were a greatest hits romp. No more, no less.

xolondon said...

I guess she felt Prince was going through the motions? Did he do medleys - I hate when he does that! Medleys and longass jams of Hendrix.

Re Robyn's CD - I had it in 2006 with the first cover but I guess I did not include it on any lists then so...

duanemoody.com said...

I love, love, love this song, and this new video is quite fantastic!

xolondon said...

I always mix up your name with Duane Reade, if you know what that is. Doh!

Anyway, yes, it is the type of video you can watch many times and see new little details.