December 29, 2007

I like it in the city when two worlds collide




First, some business: All thanks to Worrapalova for being on the edge with new music in 2007. He wrote twice about Adele before my ears pricked up. Note to self: Listen to Phil right away. Don't doddle in 2008, because the man has great taste.

While the American music biz keeps churning out "artists" like Colby Caillet (crap!), England finds these amazing young women who must've been channeling Dusty and Dinah at age 9.

Adele (Adkins) is 19 years old. NINETEEN. Listen to her! She will be compared to Amy Winehouse, but she's not really that much like her. Sophie Heawood likens her to a young Alison Moyet and that's true, but she's much heartier than Dusty Springfield... the comparison there may be to the melancholy mood of her songs. [Everyone compares everyone to Dusty!] She's also a bit like equally young Paolo Nutini in the way her songs manage to be subtle and knock you down at the same time.

The mind-bogglingly good Hometown Glory was her first single in October, but the album is being launched with Chasing Pavements, which has some beautiful early 70's strings. She calls this song her Celine Dion moment, but it sounds nothing like Celine. I have to admit I do not like the video - it's clever, but creepy; reminiscent of Coldplay's car crash video. She says it's because the song is about a "car crash relationship." Whatever, it also doesn't have enough Adele. People will want to match a face to this voice!

Her myspace blog is great. Sample entry: "ive just done my first UK tour, where i wernt supporting anyone. And it was a right laugh! " She says her 12-song debut album 19 is “about being between 18 and 19; about love... It’s quite a sad album, [with songs about] being cheated on and not getting what you want”.

You can find some of Adele's songs here and listen to Pete Paphides interview her on the recent Times Podcast. 19 is out on January 28 and the single is out on January 21 with a great b-side title: That’s It, I Quit, I’m Moving On.

Last note: Adele's mother is 38 years old. Like me. Adele could be my daughter! Yet another failure that she is not.

6 comments:

Zeon said...

I wholeheartedly love 'Chasing Pavements', that one has been in my head ever since I saw the video. I don't like the way the label's trying to play down her 'weight issues' though, which is quite evident in the cover and the video (close-ups, big black coat...).
What's up with all these talented young artists? Make me feel less of myself. :-(

Michael AKA Cayman said...

I liked "Hometown Glory" but it was really "Chasing Pavements" that converted me to her. She and Duffy right now appear to be the most new promising artists for 2008.

lucas miré said...

Chasing Pavements is my new obsession............wow.

Phil said...

Cheers matey! Adele is in return for all the Robyns, Margaret Bergers, Bertine Zetlitzs you've pointed me towards over the years. A very fair swap!

DanProject76 said...

I wrote about her as well as Phil!

In fact I moaned about the 'New Amy' tag and called her the 'New Alison!'

Small world! Great music!

duanemoody.com said...

WTF? I JUST realized that this was about Adele. LOL, and here I thought I had the jump on you! LOL