November 23, 2007

Kylie X: Cosmic



From the Coldplay-ish opening, "I wanted to write a song called Cosmic," it's clear this will not be the usual let's-fall-in-love Kylie Minogue track.
Tricky's review touched on the expectations for X and I admit my own concern that the album would not acknowledge what's happened in her life over the past 2 years. That she'd skip gaily over any pain. Multipled optimism/happiness can be tedious, especially in an artist of her longevity.

A pretty ballad with flourishing strings, Cosmic is anything but rough. It does plainly acknowledge her year with cancer without exploiting it, especially on the bridge which concludes, "I wanted to know what I was worth." This is all any fan needed, a relatively unadorned moment of reflection. Ironically, it's steely Madonna, not sweet Kylie, who has mastered the ballad over the years. In Cosmic, Kylie has found a worthy song which manages to be both grand and intimate.

4 comments:

DanProject76 said...

It's grown on me and is now one of my favourite songs on the album, and the year. Bravo!

paul @ www.thezapping.com said...

i adore this song and think it does all that is necessary in referencing Kylie's horrible couple of years. Plus it's just an absolutely lovely tune :)

kiff said...

i can't wait you review of every Kylie X track

milkwear said...

I've had my upbeat favorites in X. I overlooked the beauty of this song. It's like a diamond hidden in the album. I agree that it is both grand and intimate. I love it! =)