November 30, 2007

2008: First listen to Duffy



Torr has a post that mentions a new Welsh girl singer named Duffy. She looks like a healthier Kate Bosworth and her single Rockferry (video) is very Gerry and the Pacemakers meets Lucky Soul. Definitely someone to watch in 2008 and, I think, more successful at this style than Candi Payne, probably because (Aimee) Duffy is a real belter. Listen also to her Van Morrison-esque song Warwick Avenue on her myspace page. I love artists who write songs about places!

Update Dec 1: Sarah Nixey's partner (beau) Jimmy Hogarth produced Warwick Avenue (a good thing!) and James Banbury, who co-wrote Sarah's songs, plays cello on it. England is a small island.

Note also that this is a Bernard Butler production - her voice would sound great with David McAlmont's! Here is a sample:

Duffy
Rockferry

Note that is a particularly wailing part of the song. Some might find it shrill, but the rest of the song is not.

Watch her interviewed on Jools Holland now. Major dimples on that chick!

6 comments:

J'ason D'luv said...

Goddammit. I thought this was gonna be about Hilary Duff.

Who's this broad?

DanProject76 said...

Nice... I loved Lucky Soul (one of those albums of the year), was neutral on Candie Payne but Duffy sounds like my kind of thing. Good iPod on the crappy train music.

Yuяi said...

Very nice track, Xo!

countpopula said...

Hilary Duff? I thought it was going to be about Stephen Duffy (albeit with a nice femme on the cover). This is a nice surprise--I think she's got some real promise. I love this retro-Girl Called Eddy-type stuff, and as long as B. Butler keeps working with great vocalists...

xolondon said...

You Amurrricans are up early this morning. I don't know what to do with my day b/c it ends with a Christmas party and those stress me out!

Adem With An E said...

The song is fabbo xo, reminds me a bit of Jefferson Aeroplane, voice and melody.