October 2, 2007

Patrick Wolf in DC: The stars tonight



Tonight I saw Patrick Wolf for the first time. Stood like 10 feet from him. The show was heavy on dueling violins and upright bass with some heavy beats. You can see how he looked above. He was extremely sweet... the Patty I wanted to see. The best moments were The Libertine done with a coda that turned it into a Jewish folk song and a spine-tingling The Stars, complete with unheard lyrics and a disco ball twirling in the dark. The only way this show could've been any better is if it ended with a stranger planting a kiss on me.

Setlist: Wind in the Wires, Overture, Teignmouth (deviated from the setlist), The Shadowsea, London, Pigeon Song, Bluebells, To The Lighthouse, Paris, Jacob's Ladder, Tristan, Accident and Emergency, The Libertine, Magpie (with Bishi), The Stars (with unreleased coda) and The Barghest (new old song).

During the encore below, he revealed that early in the new year he will be releasing a digital album composed, I think, of new recordings of old, unreleased songs. I think he's pecking at the best bits of his vault. Here is one - it was the amazing final song on Monday night.

Patrick Wolf The Barghest ("new" song):


5 comments:

J'ason D'luv said...

Girlfriend really knows how to spread 'em, though I don't think we needed the photo to realize that.

Maria said...

I saw him for the 6th time on Sunday night, and it made the five gigs prior seem like warm-ups. He was pretty flawless. I can't wait to read more!

Adem IAR said...

He is playing a smallish venue in Melbourne next month, and tickets are only $38 AUD. BARGAIN. I cannot wait... eagerly anticipating your full verdict.

Musculin said...

Great pic!

I just love the magic position he put himself in!

I bet yours was quite good, too, close to the stage and all...

xolondon said...

Sorry this is such a minor review. I have a hard time with live reviews for some reason? Anyway, it was a great show with a suitably small, but loving crowd.