September 11, 2007

Lost Classic: Big Country's Fragile Thing





Most Americans probably don't realize that Big Country had a very fruitful career long beyond 1983's In A Big Country and 1984's Wonderland. They were a part of my early teen years and, much later, my late twenties.

I used to have my cousin, British Bridget, drag over a bundle of requested CDs for me when she'd visit from England. This was one she brought. I had not heard it, but it's a duet with Eddi Reader - the great Scottish folk/pop singer whom I love - so I had to own it. What a beautiful surprise that the song is wistful alt-country/pop. I am not sure how to explain this song, but I still play it a lot, especially to calm myself down.

Fragile Thing, released in 1999, now has a resonance that runs even deeper. Stuart Adamson, the lead singer of Big Country, killed himself just two years later. He put some great songs into the universe and that is his marker. Youtube comments are usually insane, but if you check out the comments for this video, it seems devoid of the usual crazies and illiterates. There are a great many people who miss his voice.

7 comments:

Adem IAR said...

Thank you for the MP3, that's a gorgeous song. I'd never heard of Big Country before xo, what do you recommend I track down?

xolondon said...

I actually don't know that much! The album with In A Big Country (Fields of Fire or something) and the Wonderland EP. Fragile Thing is from Driving To Damascus which I don't have.

countpopula said...

Thanks for this XO. This song passed me by which I strange because I also love Ms. Reader. I worked really hard to get her to come do an instore performance in 2002, and only 15 people showed up. Absolutely tragic that Americans don't know the level of talent they sometimes miss out on.

Still, she was nothing but gracious, and performed for about half an hour anyway. I even own two copies of her "Candyfloss & Medicine" album just so I can have the British version with her cover of "Town Without Pity"(stunning). Thanks again for sharing. God rest Stuart's soul.

xolondon said...

I own both versions of Candyfloss too! I was a big collector. I still buy her music and there is always something great, but I am not into her folk as much as her pop records. Candyfloss and Angels were both such solid pop albums.

Bravo to you for hosting her though!

small squirrel said...

OH. MY. GOOOOOOOD!
(where has *this* been all my life?)

xolondon said...

How did that one not get on a mix?

anglepark61 said...

A PURE PURE CLASSIC 1 FOLD TO MANY IN THE SO CALLED JACK IN THE BOX SLEEVE "BULL SHIT" THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A MASSIVE HIT FOR BIG COUNTRY AND BY GOD DID THEY DESERVE IT THEY WORKED HARD AND PLAYED FAIR BUT FOR THE "BIGOTS WHO DONE EVERYTHING IN THEY"RE POWER TO STOP IT BEING A HIT,THESE SO CALLED MUSIC SUPREMMOS THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL. NO JACK SHIT WHAT THE PUBLIC WANT WHO SPEND THEY"RE HARD EARNED CASH ON,NOW CAN THEY UNDERSTAND WHY THE GENIUS TOOK IS LIFE,I HOPE THEY ALL HAVE NIGHTMARES OF WHAT THEY DONE TO A GENTLEMAN AND BAND,THEY HAVE RUINED A LOT OF PEOPLES LIFES,THE ASREHOLES,NO MORE TO BE SAID,