September 24, 2007

One of these days, maybe your magic won't affect me



Rihanna and Ne-Yo have just released their video for Hate That I Love You. I LOVE IT. The filters that alter the color and the whole early 60's style. She looks beautiful. She must've had a book of Diahann Carroll photographs - see what I mean here. Watch the video now...



Even the little twist at the end is clever. I love how these two kids have obliterated the played-out Beyonce and Usher. Those stars are overexposed, more "corporation" than human. I mean, Beyonce's only good song last year was written by Ne-Yo! Don't get me started on the message of outlandish wealth and ostentation. It corrupts pop culture and is anti-inspirational.

So along come hungry Rihanna and Ne-Yo, who have worked their asses off. Every move Rihanna has made this year has been pitch perfect. The relentless high quality videos (4 now), the great singles, strong album and killer mixes, and clever live performances. Who knew!?

If you have not heard the monolithic K-Klassic remix of Hate That I Love You, you might find it here.

Both have done all of this with something more than the usual sex-grinding bullshit (well, aside from Shut Up And Drive...). What next? I think Rihanna needs to go right back into the studio and record another album for next summer. When the sun shines, it shines forever!

This post was inspired by Perez I must admit!

5 comments:

Zeon said...

I love the fact that she has stayed low profile in her personal life, but wouldn't it be better if she could actually sing live? In terms of a ballad single, I much prefer 'Rehab' but maybe radio doesn't need another Timbo song.
Good Girl Gone Bad was one of the few mainstream 'pop' album that I thoroughly enjoyed this year. It's a shame Fergie's outselling her.
She's better off shooting videos for the entire album then schedule a re-release, I think.

J'ason D'luv said...

XO, please wear the outfit she's in on the bed when you come over for sex next week...

Anonymous said...

What's the difference between this video and Beyonce's irreplaceable? There I said it! It's practically the same theme down to the camera stock. Rihanna doesn't have one originality bone in her and Ne-yo found a trick. There is nothing fresh about these artists.

Usher & Beyonce are highly talented buy their problem is that they're just trying to be huge like Mariah Carey & Michael Jackson was, however those days are forever gone.

afib

countpopula said...

Um, wow, bitter much? Not really a fan of any of the above mentioned artists (MJ had some moments though), but "those days are forever gone" seems like quite a sweeping generalization. Never say never...

BTW, if Usher is trying to be huge like MJ, he sure is taking his damn sweet time doing it (Chris Brown seems more likely now). And Mariah doesn't have to try--she's always been huge, no? (doesn't she have, like, 30 #1's or something?)

xolondon said...

Who is original these days? Esp really young artists working in major label pop music? Rihanna probably views Bouncey as an inspriation (hello Jay Z connection). What I am saying is that Bee has been handed notice that she cannot just spit out any ol' crap and expect to remain on top. Her music has lost its sassy appeal - her last CD was... screaming. She needs to get back to what she does best and, if the Freemasons rumors are true, good things may be coming. She works her ass off too, but people are bored with it. Effort does not equal outcome.

I have never much liked Usher, minus his first huge hit with Dupree. At least he has gone off to live his life. I think he is as much about business as "art." At a certain point it is no longer believable when these artists sing about meeting a lover in a club.

As for Rihanna and NeYo, they are post-MJ, etc, but they just bring a certain freshness. And can I just say, strangely, my whole impression of Rihanna changed with that haircut? It really softened her.