July 18, 2007

Red alert! Annie Lennox news



Songs Of Mass Destruction, out October 2nd. Producer Glen Ballard. Here is the press release:

Songs Of Mass Destruction showcases an artist who is unafraid of pushing boundaries and challenging herself. Annie delivers thought provoking and intelligent lyrics matched with her distinctive pop sound. She says that this album is the closest she’s been so far to that authentically raw and emotional place, infused with the contrasts of beauty, yearning and sadness. The result, from the haunting introductory song, Dark Road (the single) to the closing epic, Fingernail Moon, is a sumptuous musical soundscape within which Annie's soulful voice shines and soars.
Meanwhile, it is TRUE that the song called Sing has Madonna, Sarah McLachlan, Celine Dion, Fergie (eww), Faith Hill, Pink, Dido, Gladys Knight, kd Lang, Angelique Kidjo, Bonnie Raitt, Shakira, Melissa Etheridge, Anastasia (eh), Joss Stone (eww), KT Tunstall, etc on it!

UPDATE: Click on the photo to see it in all its huge glory. I think she's a punter on the River Styx. Or an escapee from Hell.

11 comments:

Yuяi said...

Love me some Annie L! Can't wait for SMD to come out! I am curious to see how the mega-star "Sing" is going to come together. After Annie and Madge, you already have 2 divas on the record and adding any more (wannabees) to it might be a bit too much. We shall see. :)

Jeff said...

Yay, Annie! Can't wait!

Tricky said...

OK, that's a fabulous record cover, and so great in fact that one yearns, literally longs in fact, for the 12" vinyl format. And it's not often one can say that. Who is she? Joan of Ark? A pilgrim Mother? Somebody's demon Godmother? The Wicked Witch of the East? This is as iconic a cover as Diva. He says, boldly.

I am not wild about the title. Moving away from the one word thing makes me unhappy, but it's mitigated by the lovely typography.

There is a worry about the music. A real worry. However, it's not Stephen Lipson, thank heaven. Steven Hague (Stuart Price!) would have been my dream, but you can't have everything. However, that cover is quite some starting point.

xolondon said...

Agreed on the cover. My take? A punter on the River Styx.

Paul said...

i would have bought it for the cover alone, it's what i wear on a saturday night. But new annie lennox music has me tingling from my head to my feet in delicious anticipation!

J'ason D'luv said...

I wonder if Annie f***s for tracks?

Robpop said...

Fucking amazing. Just fucking amazing!

This girl is amazing. The word superlative translates as Annie Lennox on Mars. I should know, i was there last week.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one (old enough) to notice a similarity between the cover and a promo shot for her appearance in 'Revolution'? Apart from the hat of course.

xolondon said...

You are right anon!

Anonymous said...

Merci beaucoup XO (I'm the anon above). Supercongrats on your blog which I've been lurking around for over a year. Now that I've gotten a question right I might even give myself a.... 'handle' as you say?

xolondon said...

Please do and comment whenever you want!