July 24, 2007

The narrows diary of my mind



The Advocate published one of the best Madonna interviews ever done way back in May 1991 when she was promoting Truth Or Dare. If you've never read it, do, as it's one of those interviews that combines juicy bits with something a little more intelligent - it's not the same old shit. The writer, Don Shewey, deserves all praise for getting something unique out of one of the most written-about celebrities.

Note that it ends with Madonna reciting one of Anne Sexton's best poems. Madonna has always been self-educated about art and literature. While the sad paparazzi girls of today waste their lives doing drugs and Fred Segal, Madonna seemed - and seems - to want to actually learn.


Madonna The X-Rated Interview Part I spread over 3 pages
Madonna The X-Rated Interview Part II spread over 3 pages

That photo above was taken by Steven Meisel when she was doing her 1991 Vanity Fair shoot. That's makeup artist Francois Nars with her.

5 comments:

Paul said...

oh! I never read that. Thanks :)

Adem IAR said...

Brilliant interview, and I just *love* that photo.

Chris Krakora said...

OMG I defintiely remember when that interview first came out. I had came out the year before and it excited me that Madonna was doing an interview the Advocate. So I picked up the two issue it had appeared in. That whole Blonde Ambition/Truth Or dare- era Madonna had a great influence on me. Wow, great times.

J'ason D'luv said...

I hope that guy in the pic was able to reattach the knuckle that got chewed off by the transvestite's ass.

Heidi said...

I really enjoyed that article, too--I thought the cover art was cute, too.

It really was a different Advocate back then, wasn't it? Of course, I got all caught up in the Rugby player's article because it was such a story.