July 10, 2007

Cover Story v. 6



New Siouxsie! Brilliant cover! Rocking song. Do you like her new look? Video here.
This reminds me muchly of some of the fantastic album/single art by The Beautiful South. The record is very good, as is the art. Well done boys!
Kickin' it old school. Torr has some info on this CD, which will excite Anglo teens with its pre-coitus dryhumping.


Notice a theme happening? If this were Vogue, I'd have a big word like Retro! here. The lead singer, upper left looks far too dewy. He does not appear that way in reality...


Cash cow record from Lloyd, but you can imagine the swooning I did when I saw this photo. It's like they designed it for me to purchase. Does it come with a poster too?



Evidence as to why I called Vol 1 a cash cow! Do we need this? Yet another great picture... and more old school shit with the song titles listed on the cover.

Fantastic noir photo. But who are they? Another loud BritPop band with better artwork than songs...

8 comments:

Sylvia said...

Oh Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. How many times did I make out to your music?

V said...

And last night I was watching Nocturne (on video tape). Anyone know if this is out on DVD? Love the new look.

countpopula said...

The Siouxsie is killer--maybe the best song and video in over a decade? Her vocals are quite strong, and I'm very pleased with how contemporary it sounds. No nostalgia show here, that's for sure! She looks pretty amazing as well.

I don't think Nocturne is out on video yet. Last year Universal UK started remastering and reissuing the Siouxsie albums with bonus tracks, and put out the first four (Scream, Join Hands, Kaleidoscope, and Juju), and they looked and sounded VERY good (not pricey either). Unfortunately, rumor has it that they were not happy with sales and scrapped the idea to continue the series. I cannot believe they would pass up classics like Kiss in the Dreamhouse, Peek-a-boo, and Hyaena (for god's sake, Robert Smith was the guitarist on that one!), but maybe with a strong song/video like this, her profile will rise again and they will finish what they started.

I heard a couple of tracks from the Cribs. This effort is much better than their last, and was produced by none other than Alex Kapranos, the fantastic leader of Franz Ferdinand! The CD is actually out in America now (has been for a couple weeks), but only when you buy the vinyl (the CD comes free with it). I like this new trend of selling the vinyl and packaging it with the CD inside (new albums from Wilco, Spoon, and Interpol--which I picked up today--have this added feature). It's a good idea to give some kind of tangible product for the money while adding the option to load it digitally. All legal and sounding great as well!

V said...

Thanks Count. Re: Siouxsie, the new song and video is killer! Too bad about the re-issues. But one thing I want to get and haven't done yet is their B-side box-set which includes a most fantastic re-make of Overground & Placebo Effect (with full orchestra) which originally appeared on The Thorn EP (but you knew that!) :)

Hoping for a tour!

J'ason D'luv said...

Siouxsie looks like she got nailed by a redwood tree.

xolondon said...

Always the smartass D'luv!

Sylvia, you literate tramp.

I knew that Varant and Countie P would get into that Siouxsie stuff.

Dan said...

I would agree with your assessment of The Cribs - I have heard one of the songs and was not all that impressed. Perhaps I should give them a bit more of a chance, but it just didn't really grab me.

Paul said...

i really like the thrills and rooney covers. i feel all nostaligic