June 2, 2007

XOvision

Tonight I have a date with The Pipettes. Last summer's obsession is finally coming to America. They have a mixed rep live, so fingers crossed / legs uncrossed that it's a good show! Onward with the videos...

Crowded House Don't Stop Now:



Neil and boys looking pretty good in this new video, which has background art by Nick Seymour (who's wearing the white suit). I love Neil's voice on the verses; he's such a brilliant lyricist, the great lines just fly by: "You get fooled by the lightning everytime / See the after-image of my outline." The long middle eight from 2:23 - 3:33 (that's what I'd call it) is stunning and, yes, I like that sweet little red car that represents YOU.

Pet Shop Boys Heart (Cubism DVD Preview):


Since everyone and their sister went to see PSB this week, here is a 1-minute snippet from the DVD: the fantastic Heart, a song that PSB originally wrote for Madonna.

Patrick Wolf Black Is The Colour / Back To Black:



Thanks to Kulpop, this is Patrick going from classic folk to Amy W in the course of one song. You'll get a sense here of how good a vocalist he is. And notice that he is wearing silver underwear with his clothes wrapped around his shoulder. That's our Patrick.

Keane Leaving So Soon (Live in Central Park, 5/30/07):



A fan did this and it's shaky, but there are some great shots. Take some time for the song to get going before you click away. A few things to note: 1) Tim Rice-Oxley, as I said years ago, is like Schroeder from Peanuts, but on Red Bull. He's a headbanger. 2) You'll be shocked to see New Look Tom - skinny - it's in full effect when he comes bounding across the stage at about 1:35. This reminds me how great they are live and what a crime it is that some dodo chose Bad Dream for a single instead of this song, which is really quite emotional.

6 comments:

J'ason D'luv said...

Don't let Tom hear you say that about "A Bad Dream"... at their L.A. show last month, he announced it as "the best song we've ever written." I don't know about the best, but it's up there, for me...

Heidi said...

PIPETTES!!! So, so jealous. We are missing them in Chicago by DAYS.

Sigh.

Tricky said...

Oh. My. God.

Tom Chaplin can be a new WeightWatchers (or N.A.?) before and after spokesperson. He looks amazing. I am staggered. Good on him.

I have this funny feeling that Keane's third album is going to be worldbeating.

Me, I am a Crowded House/Finn Bros addict and I think I am going to need to let that new one play a few times before I really pass judgement.

Paul said...

have fun with la pipettes. they are a blast and hilarious live :) I am revisiting keane's sophomore set soon thanks to D'luv's enthusiasm for it. And TRO's fingers :)

Oh. It's Kristen Again. *sigh* said...

I am obsessed with the way Neil's mouth moves when he sings "stormy night" at the very beginning of that video.

hubba.

Doron said...

LOVELY Patrick clip. I would love for him to do a rendition of her single, TAKE THE BOX. It would be a particular delight to hear him refer to the Moschino bra bought for him last Christmas...