May 11, 2007

How Mandy Moore is cookie dough.



I've never believed in "guilty pleasure" songs. The concept is based on self-conciousness and peer pressure. Not being able to say, I like this and it's that simple. Mandy Moore's new single Extraordinary is...and it pushes me to the limits of my...individuality! I must not be ashamed to say I played this song over 15 times today. Seriously. 2:54 of bliss.

Mandy's new record, Wild Hope, is a big step forward. I have never given her much thought; she seemed like a precocious child star, overly poised. I'll comment on the album more at a later date, but this sweet song, written with The Weepies, is totally uplifting. The video (above) is clever but does not really make the point that Mandy is actually an adult. If you have not heard the track, sit through the video because, from the middle eight (1:58) onward, the song is absolutely perfect folkpop.

The song's lyrical hook, "and now I'm ready to be extraordinary" reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's speech about how she is a cookie that's been baking in the oven:


I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking. I'm not finished becoming whoever the hell it is I'm going to turn out to be. I make it through this and the next thing and the next thing and maybe one day I turn around and realize I'm ready. I'm cookies. And then, you know, if I want someone to eat m...or... enjoy warm... delicious cookie-me, then that's fine. That'll be then. When I'm done.
Of course, the joke's on Buffy and Mandy because I'm not really sure that feeling lasts, when you finally say, "I'm ready" and the story ends happily. It's just a fleeting moment, isn't it? The reality sounds dramatic, but it's true: the very thing that makes you feel extraordinary one minute will have you on your knees the next.

watch the Buffy speech here, from about 1:00 - 1:45ish:

6 comments:

countpopula said...

Seriously, it's pretty, but are you sure this isn't the new Paula Cole song with Mandy Moore lipsynching? Maybe you should look into some of Paula's return material while you're at it...

Paul said...

i'll forgive the mandy moore coverage (ba dom tsk!) if only for the genius buffy reference. I dof my hat to you good sire...

xolondon said...

I stand by my support of Miss Mandy.

Doron said...

LOVE the Buffy reference.

I miss Buffy :-((

Sylvia said...

and of course cookies eventually get consumed. *cough*

midnight lounge said...

I, too adore this new Mandy Moore. She gives her best Carole King swagger, and I like it!

The closing track on Wild Hope is worth the download in gold. Who knew my midnight summer jam would be a song called "Gardenia."

Don't hate. appreciate!