May 2, 2007

Don't feck with Our Girl Shirl



Yes, that's the recently hermetic Shirley Manson, coming out swinging...errr... a skinned animal. Ewww! She's a righteous babe you don't want to mess with. I used to LOVE her Internet diaries so much I even have them printed out [note to self: geek]. I wish that Garbage would hurry up with their new Best Of (which better include a DVD!) so we can get that new Shirley solo record this fall. She's been working with Greg Kurstin, Lily Allen's main collaborator.

For old time's sake, below is a video performance from Shirley that could have landed her an Oscar for short-form video acting. I love how subtle and wicked she is in this: taking off her earrings after she wakes up, posing in front of the Deborah Harry photo, her facial expressions in the kitchen scene, her strutting at minute 3 and always her sense of fashion, which is spot on in every scene. There is no one quite like her.

This woman could break scrawny Avril Lavigne in half.


Garbage Why Do You Love Me?

Why do I love her? Click on the blue Shirley tag below to see more posts. As a bonus for my peeps, here is a b-side from Shirley and the Ladyboys: a gorge cover of Big Star's epic teenfolk weepie...

Garbage Thirteen expired

8 comments:

Adem IAR said...

Shirley Manson: The only woman I'd consider going straight for.

Paul said...

Garbage ruled my life in summer 1998 and i haven't forgotten their magnificence since :) it was a VERY important summer...

xolondon said...

Adem, I suppose she can flip the queerest of the queer.

J'ason D'luv said...

Shocking ad, but not nearly as icky as the Sophie Ellis Bextor one from a few years back. Version 2.0 = eternal classic.

My spring of '98 was always soundtracked by Garbage's "Push It," Alanis' "Uninvited," Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" and Backstreet Boys' "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" wherever I went.

Ah, to be 24 again....

orange anubis said...

My hairdresser's ex-girlfriend once cut Shirley's hair. I only mention this because you just outed yourself as a geek, it's not a fact I'd usually expect people to be impressed by...

xolondon said...

Was it not clear I was/am a geek on other posts? ;)

Adem IAR said...

xo, I was having a sip of my cool beverage as I read your comment reply, and I laughed so hard that orange juice squirted out of my nose all over my computer desk.

Well done. Now I have to clean it. ;)

sam said...

thirteen is an amazing song. i only had the versions by big star and wilco until now. and, coincidentally enough, garbage was one of my favorite bands when i was thirteen. props.