May 10, 2007

Candie Payne: All you need to hear


Meet Candie Payne: born in Liverpool, spent the 80's in Jackson Heights (NYC) and the 90's back in Liverpool, Candie is this close to exploding all over the UK scene. Her debut single is I Wish I Could Have Loved You More and the debut album of the same name is due on May 21 in the UK. I think I actually prefer her previous 7" single All I Need To Hear.

Candie's songs are a moody, airy melding of trip-hop and retro; the kind of records Mia Farrow's Rosemary might have played as she wandered forlornly around her Dakota apartment in Rosemary's Baby.
If I was working A&R at her label, I would have sent the video back though (see it below): it's atmospheric, but weak. A song like this needs amazing visuals to push it up a notch. The original video, further down, is a little better!

Candie Payne I Wish I Could Have Loved You More:



original video:



Hear more songs at Candie's myspace page

8 comments:

Paul said...

if she had been rubbish i could have used a lame joke like "i wish i could have loved candi more" but i think i may already be too much in love with her. May 21st is SUCH a good week for albums...

Zeon said...

You're fast. I've heard both songs recently, and you're right, All I Need To Hear is better. I've planned to do a post about her (which means I'll probably get around to it in Christmas), but you already did! Looking forward to the debut.
Anyway, I think the main marketing trick would just be referring to her as 'sister of that drummer in The Zutons'.

Doron said...

"Hey Goodbye" and "Nightclubbin'" are also excellent.

"I Wish" is brilliant and really reminds me of Dusty.

J'ason D'luv said...

I was prepared to spend the summer ladling acid on Candie, ala Lily Allen last year... but how can anyone not find joy in an artist this Saint Etienne-throwback-esque?

xolondon said...

She's a little bit hyped right now, so we'll have to see how the full record is.

DanProject76 said...

I had heard a few songs and liked them so this inspired me to listen to the whole album...

... it's great.

Doron said...

The album is VERY good.

application3 said...

I totally agree about the video(s) - funny how throwing more money at a vid can make it look less exciting... a bit of wit, perhaps like the smirnoff ad with the russian dolls thing going on would have been the ticket.

musically a bit too retro for me, but great voice!
now, a modern electronic record with candi payne - that would be ooomph!