April 10, 2007

XOvision: 80's visitation

Altered Images Don't Talk To Me About Love:

Not the best video, but a unique song. This one was produced by Tony Visconti, who helped the band move from an almost novelty cuteness to a vaguely Chic influenced discopop. This proved to be the band's last album, but Scottish lass Clare Grogan is still around in British pop culture.

BowWowWow Do You Wanna Hold Me?:

Gahhh! How much do I love this song? It is pure sugar. The Reagan references in the video are cheeky and I've only just noticed that every member of this band was cute. D'you agree? If you don't know this song, be sure to watch. I love the long note Annabella holds at the end (at about 2:54).

Kirsty MacColl He's On The Beach:

A longtime favorite (thanks Krissy), but I've never seen the video until a few minutes ago. Was happy to see yet another film of Brighton Pier. There were two music deaths in the 90's that made my heart ache: Jeff Buckley and Kirsty MacColl, who was like the cool , beer-drinkin' aunt of British pop. She will never die for me. I play her music all the time and her hits CD is perfect. PS: Love the night shots at the end.


Oh. It's Kristen Again. *sigh* said...

It was heartbreaking when Kirsty was killed. She was so brilliant. I loved it when she and David Byrne went through their latin phase.

Phil said...

I bought a remastered version of the Bite album last year. When Don't Talk to Me About Love came out, I remember hearing it for the first time, sitting up sharp as anything and thinking this is EXACTLY what I wanted this band to sound like.

And bless dear Kirsty. The song that sums her up for me is In These Shoes? I said, in THESE shoes? hahaha

Anne-Marie said...

Ah yes! Don't Talk To Me About Love is up there with The Passions' 'I'm In Love With A German Filmstar' in the pantheon of Grreat 80's pop tunes.