March 9, 2007

XOvision: The world, post-Pipettes



The Revelations are about to pop, so to speak. If Bananarama were to go back to their earliest sound for their next CD, the new Revelations single might've worked for them. It's very post-Pipettes, though they've actually been on the Fierce Panda label since 2005. My only "issue" is that the look is a bit too...Wilson Phillips (see video below).

What you should know: Based in the UK, the 3 members are Swedish, English, and Portuguese. They host a Motown retro night at Notting Hill Arts Club in London that attracts much attention (and celebs). Their forthcoming album was produced by Ian Grimble, who's worked with everyone from Siouxise to Travis to Marc Almond. It was even mastered at Abbey Road. Does that give it cache?

The intrepid Talia of The Londonist tipped them 6 weeks ago. The cool -and very rare- bit is that you can buy the single on iTunes UK and US! How rare! Please watch the video right now...

The Revelations If I Called You On The Telephone:


8 comments:

J'ason D'luv said...

L.O.V.E. it. Between this and Ghosts, too great discoveries in one week. I get less of a Wilson Phillips vibe and more of a Justine Frischmann "it's 1992 and we smoke cigarrettes and read angry poetry at Coffe Haus" vibe.

J'ason D'luv said...

Two, that should have said. Or tutu...

Zeon said...

I kinda like the song. But the look's way too generic.
Also, they seem to lack something that can make them stand out, which I can't really tell right now.
I just remember I have another track of them in my iPod.

Dan said...

I like this quite a lot - a good bouncy spring song for shaking off this winter funk. I think I'll be heading over to iTunes in a minute here.

D

xolondon said...

It has a truly phenomenal chorus. This is self-released and they need label backing (not Parlophone!). They did not even do a CD release for this song. I'll keep following them...

countpopula said...

Like the song, but the vid is bland. Bananarama had a much more DIY approach when they started, which was much more endearing...more Pipette-ish. The Wilson Phillips look is totally creepy...

J'ason D'luv said...

Downloaded both their single EPs (this one and "You're The Loser") off iTunes. A couple songs sound eerily like ABBA.

xolondon said...

I like You're The Loser, but the new bside is lame. They are very good and the look can be fixed.

Lyrically I don't think they quite have Pipettes vim, verve and vigor.