March 10, 2007

Cover Story 4.0


The image Brett chose for his supposedly confessional -and ungood- solo debut does not suggest honesty, does it? Nor is it a new picture. It was taken for a magazine several years ago.



Another 90's baby. Much improved from her last look, but she looks severely constricted in that coat. Again, it suggests something other than a very personal record. I've heard the single - it sounds just like Cranberries music, with wonkily "earnest" lyrics.



Travis' new disc. Don't like it at all. Child in Iraqi sandstorm? Creepy like my banner! Pretty song Battleships is now streaming at their myspace. UPDATE: This is FAKE!



Viva La South. One woman gaily hopping on flowers. Another woman determined to fuck that bitch over. Ot maybe it's the same woman, fucking over herself.



This cover is not at all what I expected. I guess it's supposed to be like a movie poster, but the music is nothing like movie music.



Who ever heard of actual art on an album cover? Keane maybe. This is whimsical folk art. I'd like to think I could have done this myself with some scissors and construction paper.

12 comments:

J'ason D'luv said...

Brett is a God in my book. Not heard the new solo stuff, though.... I have the Tears album and of course all Suede... well, not all.

I could listen to "Stay Together," Animal Nitrate" and "We Are The Pigs" on repeat for hours, and in fact have!

I think I've recommended this book to you before, but anyone who is a fan of British pop/rock that hasn't read it is doing themselves a woeful disservice.

As for Delores, I have great memories of college and The Cranberries, and the two will always be intertwined for me. I caught Cranberries in fall '93 opening for Duran Duran in Pittsburgh, before anyone Stateside had heard of them. Well, actually, "Dreams" was a 120 Minutes hit earlier that summer, but they had yet to have the breakthrough with "Linger" and the re-release of "Dreams."

Travis..... never got it with them.

DanProject76 said...

The Brett album is good (I've been living with it for a few weeks) if you cut about half of it out. I am his biggest fan but he needs a hardcore editor/producer to keep his witterings in shape!

The final track (the one about consumerism) is the funniest worst thing he has ever done. It's even worse than (obscure Suede b-side) Campfire Song... but there are some great Brett tracks on it too.

xolondon said...

I like "One Lazy Morning" and the single, but that's it so far. What should I be paying attention to?

Cranberries. I love "21" still. I should make a short podmix.

DanProject76 said...

You just mentioned the 2 best tracks.

I quite like To The Winter and The Infinite Kiss and Song For My Father and... no, that's it. Bah.

countpopula said...

I haven't heard the Brett yet, although I am excited as somebody told me it is very orchestral. Loved the Tears & Suede (of course). Cannot imagine it is "un-good".

RPC said...

Got tickets for Travis in London in May. Look forward to hearing the new record.

Don't like that album cover one little bit. Really clunky type on that faux-parchment. Yuck.

Tacim said...

We have to forget Brit-pop era. I've got an album, it's so good. Yeah, personal stuff, all songs are perfect, maybe One Lazy Morning is fair.
Colour Of the Night, The Infinite Kiss, The More We Poses, Song For My Father, Love Is Dead...
Definitely one of the best albums of the year.

xolondon said...

All songs are perfect? That's a very good review!

DanProject76 said...

The More We Possess really is the worst song in the world ever!

xolondon said...

Yeah, he lives in Notting Hill (or somewhere like that), drives a flash car and probably wears stuff like Hedi Slimane for Dior. I don't (nor do you) need a lecture from Brett.

xolondon said...

Yeah, he lives in Notting Hill (or somewhere like that), drives a flash car and probably wears stuff like Hedi Slimane for Dior. I don't (nor do you) need a lecture from Brett.

Tacim said...

Ok mate, all songs are good. Brett is my favourite musician. The More We Possess is excellent song. By the way Campfire Song is the worst suede song.