March 13, 2007

90's music: This beat is bleedin'



Bell Biv Devoe Gangsta

When we were young we thought of ourselves as badass. Which is ludicrous, if you could have seen me. Anyway, I'd be laying low in the backseat when Krissy drove through Haine's Point doing a chica Latina drive-by for all the gangsta thugs who'd hang outside their cars. Prince would boom outta the car: "Move your big ass 'round this way so I can work on that zippa baby!" And the song above was fucking hot...I love the sustained ahhh in the background. That alone gives it a sort of pop elegance. And the lyrics! "She has a gun / Just for fun / One day she'll shoot me / Girl, I'm not the one!

This track was re-released today on iTunes US.

A public "PS" to Krissy: Work it bitch! Hot in the 90's and smokin' hot in '07. Loved you then and I love you now. xosa

3 comments:

J'ason D'luv said...

Bel Biv Devoe remind me of being 16, going to the school dances every Sunday night at the roller rink and watching in shock as hip hop took over white, suburban America via the microcosm of my high school.

I loved "Gett Off", though, and even bought the video single.

Oh. It's Kristen Again. *sigh* said...

Oh,Oh,Oh! remember I had a snobby snobby boyfriend at the time who was HOR-RI-FIED that I had a cassette single of this song (courtesy of one XOLONDON, whom I have slept with) laying about my apartment...

xoxo back to you, sugar - I totally thought you were going to post one of the pics from our neneh cherry photo shoot... I should find them and post them...

xolondon said...

D'luv- how about a 90's rollerskating party with this and Prince, Karyn White, Pebbles, En Vogue, Babyface songs, Lisa S, Jody and on and on? Browntone too! Maybe Krissy will come as she is a Roxy girl.

Krissy Who I Have Slept With (and there is also photo evidence that I married you too), the color scanner is wonky or I would have sent you pics for your site. Will check on that.