February 28, 2007

Tracey Thorn



Tracey Thorn's album is released next week in the UK. As far as I - and many others- are concerned, this is probably the biggest musical event of 2007. My life would so much less if EBTG had not existed. This week Tracey gave a great interview with The Telegraph. Did you know, for instance, that the new single, It's All True, is her first attempt at an unabashed love song for partner Ben Watt? Or that her children are named Jean, Alfie and Blake? I urge you to read all of it, but below is a quote that stood out to me.

Tracey Thorn on her relationship with Ben Watt:


There is no magic fairy dust that you can sprinkle,’ Thorn says when I ask their secret. ‘The longer you’ve been together, the more you learn that the bad bits go around, and the good bits come back again. But if you give up too quickly, you don’t get back to the good point again. Replacing a person with someone new is great for six months, but after that I suspect it’s not that different. Everyone has their faults. There will be things that you clash about, they’re just different things. So you give up one set of problems for a different set.’


Wise woman. One thing to note: at the end of the article Tracey says she will record another record. This one is not a fluke!

More reading: 1) The blog on her myspace, which is usually pretty funny. She's also streaming a few more album tracks there now. 2) A Q&A at Monsters and Critics.

8 comments:

Paul said...

i have no interest in this album. Or didn't. Until i listened to it by accident (honestly!!) and now i think you'll be pleasantly surprised by my review...

xolondon said...

where is it homeboy?

RPC said...

Count me as one of the 'many others'.

Was listening again to 'Amplified Heart' which is mentioned in the Telegraph interview, and it is a great record. Maybe that's why EBTG hit such paydirt when they went electronic. Proper songs, with the beats on top.

such glorious ... winsomeness ...

Yuri said...

So XO, you don't flirt and eat donuts anymore? I see we're back to the synths again. It's all good. :)

xolondon said...

Winsome - great underused word.

Re donuts - I have moved on to iced brownies. It is not pretty.

midnight lounge said...

...this is the most in-depth interview I've ever about Tracey and Ben. I thought I knew all there was to know about the two, but this just uncovered so much more...quite revealing of the relationship, the untimely yank from the label (and subsequent but ambiguous distancing from WB when greatest hits came out) and so much more! wow...

Phil said...

I feel like I've grown up with Tracey... I even remember when she disappeared to do a University degree and all the press were puzzled by it. She's ploughed her own furrow ever since. Where are her contemporaries of then, now? Carmel anyone?
PS, XO, talking of growing up with music, pop over and have a look at the first track I ever bought, a cheeky little mp3 file of Living By Numbers, d'you remember it...

countpopula said...

Once again, thank you SO MUCH XO for these fantastic updates. I have loved EBTG for 20 years or more now, and am SO EXCITED about this record. Contender for CD of the year? Tracks so far have led me to think so. Tracey & Ben were two of the nicest celebrities I ever met, and her voice is utterly singular, and has a depth few pop voices could even hope to aspire to. Combined with her writing chops, she cannot lose. Bring it on!