February 17, 2007

New music: Anneli Drecker



First he brought me Bertine Zetlitz and Margaret Berger. Now he's brought me Anneli Drecker. The erudite Brittle Lemon of Tremble Clef has exquisite taste. What does he do? I think he flies his silver seaplane to a secret ice island where these women wear white DVF wrap dresses and play ambient disco pop. This post has two fantastic Anneli songs - my most favored is You Don't Have To Change.

Anneli's first solo CD, 2001's Tundra, was recorded with the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and members of Cocteau Twins and Röyksopp. It's Bjorkian in its grand scope. One of the prettiest songs from that release, the Frozen-like All I Know, is included below. Celine Dion would do well to record this song. Her follow up, 2005's Frolic, featured a more pop-based sound that fans Bertine Zetlitz, Kate Havnevik et al will enjoy. It was recorded with Gareth Jones of Erasure and Depeche Mode fame. You can also hear her on Röyksopp's Melody AM album (singing Sparks).

And of course she had a band called Bel Canto for most of the 90's. You can buy her solo albums via CDON. They are a fortune on Amazon Marketplace. If anyone has any other retail sources or Scan/Nordic pop girls they want to spring on me, I am an open vessel...

Anneli Drecker You Don't Have To Change video

2 comments:

Yuri said...

Where has Anneli been hiding? LOVE HER...

countpopula said...

Strangely enough (or not), I believe she also duets with Morten Harket of a-Ha on one of their recent albums (yes, they are still around, and in some ways better than they were the first time around), and I seem to recall her also adding many backing vocals to their recent efforts as well.