February 24, 2007

90's music: I've been around for quite some time



Jody Watley I'm The One You Need expired, sorry!

The success of last week's Dare Me post made me think about some other tracks that linger with me years later. Jody Watley's I'm The One You Need is a classic. In the late fall of '91, just as the weather was changing, Jody released the slightly tepid I Want You as the first single from her 3rd album, Affairs Of The Heart. The cassingle, which I remember buying around the same time as MJ's Black Or White, had three song snippets on the b-side, including this one. I have a vivid memory of driving by the Lincoln Memorial late one night with that cassette playing on a boom box on the floor of my Cutlass. (!) It starts as a keyboard ballad, and then the bass starts to thump and it melds into a subtle house anthem. And what about the New Kids woah part!? This song is one of Jody's best - it has an elegance that makes it kick even now. It came out at one of the happiest times of my life and I'm very aware of that whenever I play it. Get this great track on iTunes US now...
_________________________________________

Please note that this represents the first case where I find that Viacom and Google have teamed up to needlessly destroy the music video value of Youtube. To what end? Also note that if you didn't get Jody's cover of Madonna's Borderline last year, do it NOW. It's beautiful.

5 comments:

Dan said...

You picked another great one - I had the cassette single of "I'm The One You Need" (have I mentioned how much I miss buying singles!) ;)

I liked Jody's cover of "Borderline" although it was roundly panned on most of the Madonna boards I frequent. It was a nice reinterpretation of that song.

And yeah, I am so pissed at how you can't find music videos on YouTube any longer - it's not like they're showing them anywhere else!

Dan

Yuri said...

My o' my...it's been forever since I've heard this one! Great song!

I'm very picky about Madonna covers. Most artists can't seem to pull them off...except Jody. Her version of Borderline is awesome. Good stuff!!

J'ason D'luv said...

Now i totally remember this song after listening. It got quite a decent amount of airplay on the Pittsburgh Top 40 station at the time.... It totally reminds me of that whole period of Ce Ce Peniston/"Finally", Lisa Stansfield/"Change" light pop/house sound...

Mo said...

another Jody fan here - I also loved this track - along with When a Man Loves a Woman and Dont You Want Me - all shoulda been no 1s!

xolondon said...

D'luv and I had a big email round about this era of music and I started a post about "Change."

Yuri, have you ever heard "I Deserve It" by Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips? It is reallllly good.