February 15, 2007

80's music: I want to take you on



Apparently it can take 20 years for a song to click. That’s called a grower, right? For some reason, I've become obsessed with the Pointer Sisters 1985 minor hit Dare Me. Not as good as Jump and certainly better than Neutron Dance, Dare Me is pop music played with Rick James-ian flair. I've listened to it non-stop on my iPod the last few days, but it took until today for me to realize that the song is a virtual blueprint for Tracey Thorn's new single It's All True. It has the same drum machine, the same squeegee synth flourishes that come and go in seconds, even the same fantastic live drums tumbling down through certain moments of the track. Yes, it’s a little tacky, but it’s also a killer pop tune that suddenly sounds really fresh, at least to my ears.

You can get Dare Me on iTunes US

11 comments:

Dan said...

"Dare Me" is one of my FAVORITE Pointer Sisters songs! I'm not an aficionado of their music or anything like that, but "Dare Me" was a track on their greatest hits CD that I bought years ago that I had never heard before. And it ended up on mix tape after mix tape after mix tape during that time period.

I'm definitely going to have to listen to it before bed.

Dan

J'ason D'luv said...

I went through this last month with Debbie Deb's "When I Hear Music." It must be going around...

J'ason D'luv said...

XO, have you ever heard Princess, "Say I'm Your No. 1"?? It's a bit slower, but has the same sound -- it's Stock Aitken Waterman-produced (from 1985), but very unlike their poppier, Hi-NRG stuff from the late '80s. It's just a great retro R&B slow jam.

Lemme know...

Yuri said...

This is such a great song!

Haven't heard it in a loooong time...thanks for the reminder!

xolondon said...

Why yes, Dluv, I just heard Princess! Fancy that!

Brittle said...

A few years ago the dance community also realized how great "Dare Me" is, and it felt like a million records sampled it -- Junior Jack's "Stupidisco" (which recently got rereleased), Dave Armstrong's "Make A Move," and probably others I'm forgetting.

I hated "Neutron Dance" when it was released, but always thought its rhythm was very innovative.

RPC said...

What an awesome record, one I know only seem to know in the far reaches of my disco-lovin' mind.

Now, Princess, singing 'Say I'm You're Number One', that's a great tune. A cruel omission from my 'Stock Aitken & Waterman' triple CD. How, I ask you, did it get left off when 'That's What Love Can Do (7" version)' by Boy Krazy made the cut?

J'ason D'luv said...

RPC... are you talking about Gold? It's on there! At least it's on mine....?

RPC said...

Cher D'luv, I am talking about Gold which means that my iTunes, (or download or whateverthehell I did when I acquired the tracks that weren't covered by my assorted Kylie, Jason, Donna Summer, Big Fun (et al) albums) didn't cover off everything or, more likely I was not paying enough attention. I'll resolve it, but ta and cheers and so on.

Princess and the Pointer Sisters in a single day. Now all we need is for XO to do a feature on great lost Sonia b-sides and we can chuck up a mirrorball and call it G-A-Y.

Chris said...

Wow, listening to this, I feel like I'm in the credits of a really bad 1980s buddy cop movie or something, also starring Bronson Pinchot.

xolondon said...

I think Neutron Dance was actually used in A BH Cop sequel!