February 25, 2007

80's Music: Hey young London!



On March 19, Bananarama re-release all their albums. Yay! Below you can watch all their videos in ten minutes...




Every pop fan should know the first three Bananarama albums and the original line-up: Keren (the one who married Andrew Ridgeley), Sarah (the one with the tall face) and - my fave - Siobhan (the one who left!). The self-titled debut came out in 1983 and has the same kind of spirit as Lily Allen's record does today, albeit even more DIY. This was the era of no budgets, at the very start of MTV and the beginning of an incredibly fertile period in British pop music, when groups out of London would soon be exported into homes all over America. I stopped following them, frankly, in about 1987, but I still play their tunes.

XO's Bananarama Picks:

Fave 'nana: Siobhan Fahey watch a profile
Fave Single: Robert DeNiro's Waiting watch it
Fave Album Track: What A Shambles
Fave Rarity: Cairo
Fave Video: Cheers Then watch it
Fave Album: Bananarama buy remaster
Didn't Like: Wow album (or anything after!)

Top Ten Songs: Cruel Summer, Robert DeNiro's Waiting, Trick of The Night, What A Shambles, Wild Life, Young At Heart, Rough Justice, Look On The Floor, Cairo, More Than Physical.

12 comments:

V said...

Cool! Thanks for Wild Life! I haven't heard this in so long. It was a single I owned from the movie of same name, right? Was this on any of their albums?

J'ason D'luv said...

OMG! Don't limit yourself by ruling out stuff post True Confessions.... "Love In The First Degree", "I Want You Back," "Preacher Man" (there's a Shep Pettibone mix, Madonna hookers), and "Last Thing On My Mind" are masterpieces!

J'ason D'luv said...

And lest you youn'uns think Gwen Stefani is the first one to one to ape The Sound Of Music, the 'nanas did it first in the video for "Cheers Then" (show briefly in the above clip where they're marching in step down the stairs... they actually shot that video at all the locations from the movie).

Phil said...

Did you ever see the French and Saunders sketch on them? The real Bananarama were so impressed they asked Dawn, Jennifer and Kathy Burke to duet with them on a Comic Relief single (the same one Sugababes Vs Girls Aloud are doing this year) Called Lananananeenoo, this is post Siobahn and very, very '88...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hXNMAYR6xE

Phil said...

oops, that should read:
Lananeeneenoonoo... and note that the presenter is Paula Yates...

Yuri said...

Great post! Love me some 'nanarama!

I have to agree with d'luv...there are some goodies out there post-Confessions. Like Take Me To Your Heart (from Ultraviolet)..great track. Love in the First Degree is a must-hear track too. :)

I do like your list. I'd have to add Rough Justice as one of my all-time faves, tho.

xolondon said...

Look again, Rough Justice is there!

Look again, the Cheers Then video is linked!

Yeah, I have the Help video - I may even have that single!

Yuri said...

my bad, my bad, comrade... that's what I get for trying to do this and watch the Oscars at the same time! :) Rough Justice is good enough for a double shout-out!

Poster Girl said...

Unrelated, but Patrick Wolf is everywhere today! Popjustice, Stylus, BBC's Chart Blog...

countpopula said...

OK, what's wrong with you not liking Wow? Pure pop genius, albeit from Stock Aitken Waterman. How could you not like Love in the 1st Degree or I Heard a Rumor? Sick. Methinks I must be getting these.

Oh, and Wild Life was a soundtrack only song that will be a bonus track on the reissue of album #2.

Hopefully you heard the Shakespear's Sisters albums that Siobhan did after leaving Nana--they're quite fantastic also (probably had lots of help from her now-ex-husband Dave Stewart of Eurythmics). Stay was a #1 hit for them in the USA, although Hello (Turn Your Radio on) in it's single remix form is one of my top 20 songs of ALL TIME!

xolondon said...

LOL. I have to explain this carefully! I think it comes down to my age - when the SAW sound hit, I had just gone to college and my taste really spread around. I liked Camper Van Beethoven, REM, Talking Heads, The Cure, Lloyd Cole and The Smiths at that time. I still liked pop then, but it was more of the Danny Wilson variety.

It wasn't that I hated this stuff. My ear was cocked in a different direction.

Anonymous said...

Another SAW hater...