January 13, 2007


Sophie Ellis-Bextor has never been an album artist - I cannot listen to one of her CDs all the way through. In 2007, though, she seems poised (literally) to unleash a dreamy pop classic. We already know that Catch You is an asskicking slice of Blondie dance-rock and the first brilliant pop single of the 2007.

I am wondering if If You Go is one of the Dan Gillespie Sells tracks? It certainly has a rhythmic quality that sounds like The Feeling and the reverberating vocals are so... aqualine. It's the definition of shimmering, a word I use far too often. Edit: It's a Xenomania track according to Mr. PJ.

Me And My Imagination is the most classically Sophiesque of the new songs with its disco strings and rubbery bassline. This song sounds like a hit single, though for me it also sounds like the one that could overstay its welcome a wee bit. Yadadadadadee...

New York City Lights has been compared to recent Madonna and not just for the title or the namecheck. The track has a repeating chant delivered with a vocoder and a guitar crunch much like Madonna's own NY song. What elevates this one is the truly epic middle eight ("Run awayyyyyy with me") that starts at minute 2 and lasts for almost a minute.

5 comments:

Ciara said...

Wow...I wish I knew where people are getting these leaks from :P

However, all the positive feedback is very pleasing. I loved her past two albums (especially Read My Lips), I hope there will be a lot of success for her.

xolondon said...

Ciara are you from Cardiff? My family is from Penarth!!

Send me an email address.

Brittle said...

You gotta wonder, what's all that...white goo on her face...But it sparkles, so I guess that's okay.

I think her first album was wildly uneven, but I bristle at the idea that Shoot From the Hip is not listen-all-the-way-throughable. The version with bonus tracks has one, maybe two weak tracks, but everything else is amazing. I was just listening to the hilarious "Party In My Head" the other day, in fact, and thinking how it is still better than the new single (which I already think is good).

Popjustice.com said...

'If You Go' is Xenomania and I love it.

J'ason D'luv said...

Totally agree that the albums don't invite you to listen the whole way through so well, but the singles are slices of heaven. You're building up great anticipation so far for the new one, though!