January 29, 2007

Caught Up In A Whirlwind



Tomorrow night I'll be at the hottest show in NYC - at Irving Plaza for Paul Weller's special evening of Style Council music (read about it here). I don't have time for a proper Style Council post, but if you think of Paul only as the Modfather or a Dadrocker, know that he did some great pop in the 80's...

The Style Council My Ever Changing Moods live video
An essential song of the 80's, this is the acoustic version from their first full-length. You may know the jauniter 12" version. This was the point at which the former modster woke up and said, "Hey, I sound black! I should do something more soulful!"

The Style Council Speak Like A Child video
Exhilirating! One night in 1998 I was happily walking alone in Edinburgh and a bar was blasting this track. It was one of those moments where you know you are truly happy.

The Style Council Changing Of The Guard video
From their last real album Confessions Of A Pop Group, a white-blond Paul goes regally orchestral. That's PW's ex wife, Dee C Lee, on the duet.

8 comments:

torr said...

"Shout The The Top" actually links to "Speak Like A Child"

trill42 said...

I wish I could be there!

"Hey, I sound black! I should do something more soulful!"

Hahaha... Thanks for the music. Listening to the more soulful (and great) acoustic song now.

Have a great time at the show!!

J'ason D'luv said...

I like "Shout To The Top" and "Town Called Malice" by The Jam.

Jerry said...

Never heard the acoustic version of My Ever Changing Moods before. Nothing can top the jauntier 12" version, but still, I love it. Thanks!

orange anubis said...

Oh gosh I really did fancy Mr Weller in the Style Council days, and I'd completely forgotten - ta!

xolondon said...

Sorry about the wonky link. Dluv he did both of those songs live and Malice was amazing. Lots of audience participating. I was bouncing like a pogo stick... these dawgs is tired!

Paul said...

i swear i saw someone just like you in NYC... ;)

xolondon said...

I think that was Michael Hutchence. err, back from the dead.