December 8, 2006

2006: Producer of the Year: Mark Ronson



Let me begin my 2006 "superlatives" now, m'kay? The Producer Of The Year is, without a doubt, Mark Ronson. Vim and vigor are great old words to describe his work in '06. Some of his credits this year include:

Christina Aguilera Without You
Lily Allen Littlest Things video
Robbie Williams Lovelight video
Amy Winehouse Rehab video
Mark Ronson with Alex Greenwald Just video

Ronson brings a brilliant, soulful sound that's often distinguished by his work with the Dap Kings, a horn(y) combo. The epic Amy Winehouse album is probaby the best distillation of his talent thus far. Mark even has his own label, Allido, and on April 17, releases an album called Version. It will feature reworkings of Coldplay (God Put...), Titney (Toxic), Kaiser Chiefs (feat Lily Allen on vox!) and The Jam (Pretty Green, very BowWowWow-ish and sung by Santo Gold).

The important bit: also included is a cover of The Smiths' "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before", reconfigured by Ronson with vocals by new Austrialian white soul boy Daniel Merriweather. It's phenomenal and you can hear a piece of it via Mark's myspace or in full via Columbia's site. It's so fucking passionate, I just want to run around screaming when I hear it, especially when Daniel starts singing The Supremes' "You Keep Me Hanging On" at the end. You don't want to know how I jizz at the slit over those relentless strings. Oy.

I just have to say for the record that most of this post was actually written on October 22. I am not copying Mr. PJ., nor have I heard the new album, but PopJustice is right about Ronson. Expect Mark to dominate 2007 with his fresh updates of great old tunes and his buoyant production for other artists.

And by the way, forget Timbaland, he is an arrogant fucker.

5 comments:

Poster Girl said...

"Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before" is amazing--I couldn't stop listening to it everywhere I went today!

On a side note, I love reading about producers--especially when knowing about who is behind certain songs allows you to look for the commonalities between them--and, to be honest, I had no idea who Mark Ronson was. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for his work now, though.

J'ason D'luv said...

Yeah, I'd throw it in this guy...

xolondon said...

THROW it in? Throw what? Ewww. He looks like you, so that is xtra nastayyy. You old slapper.

J'ason D'luv said...

But I love myself, so it would be dream come true, luv.

Anonymous said...

Wow. It's really strange reading something that explains what I'm thinking better than I can think it, if that makes sense. I pretty much run around the room yelling "Geniussss!!" by the time Daniel Merriweather brings in the whole "keep me hanging on" bit!

can't believe Ronson's the wiz behind "Ooh Wee" too... this guy doesn't stop