October 21, 2006

Off topic: Fave TV moments

My favorite Buffy The Vampire Slayer scene (or really just one of them). Season 1, episode 11: Out of Mind, Out of Sight. Shown on May 19, 1997. "An invisible force is attacking the students and teachers at Sunnydale High." For some reason, the moment when she stops and sort of centers herself (at about 1:10)has always stuck with me. There's a metaphor there, chillins! Some Buffy wisdom for life! This show always used silence in a good way, particularly on the Mom dies episode, which was as good as any episode of ER or The Sopranos.

5 comments:

countpopula said...

OK, on Buffy we do agree! This was a great moment in season one, and this show had such a great way with using cool techniques or crazy stories while making them palatable to all ages. Mom dies was an unforgettable episode, and there were so many. I feel this show sometimes gets the shaft because of the networks it was broadcast through, but it really was fantastic, even if it took a few episodes to really find itself. Props to SMG (Mrs Prinze to you)...she was much better here than in those Scooby Doo films. Anyone seen Grudge 2 yet? Just got back from the Prestige--AMAZING (David Bowie continues to rock)!

trill42 said...

I loved BtVS (until it started to suck, but even then there were some good episodes). The centering is cool, and the end of that episode was great.

Hard to pick favorite moments... but every scene with Mayor Wilkins was gold.

babs said...

Okay, am a mega Buffy fan. Hush, where half the episode is wordless was good and scary. And the musical worked and wasn't a complete gimmick. I also liked the one where they don't know who they are.

trill42 said...

"Tabula Rasa" - I was thinking of that ep. too. I especially liked Spike thinking he was Giles' son, Randy. "God, how I must hate you." Agreed about the musical. I don't remember "Hush" as well. I remember the gimmick and what the villains looked like, but not much beyond that.

Erika McCoy said...

Once More with Feeling (the musical episode) is still my fave. Luv Spike and his angst-ridden Billy Idol thing. Just got the whole series for my b-day. Finally.