September 14, 2006

Where in the world IS Ana Matronic?

Oh, that hair! Anyway, I completely agree with D'Luv about Scissor Sisters. Read his comments and also those of Homo Eclectic and Paul at Zappin'. Now read mine...

Since this is an album that features cum facials, I will use a sexual metaphor to describe my reaction to Ta-Dah: it's like an orgasm that is building and building and you think "ooh, look what I've go in store" and then: something goes Slighty Wrong. One false move and somehow the whole thing falls flat. Lost pleasure. Is there a name for that kind of orgasm? That's how I feel about this CD.

The Sisters - and J'ason is right that they are missing their real sister Ana - seem stuck in a Satin Chic plonkety plonk groove. I mean, what does Elton really think? They really rip him off! Sigh. Rather than dwell on what leaves me lonely, I will highlight the woozy, hot bits:

1. The chorus of "Might Tell You Tonight" is tinkly loveliness. Very sweet. It's one of the few songs where I feel like the band really pushes into new territory - listen to the ooohs at 2:35. Even the final 20 seconds has a terrific banjo sound that ends the song on a light note.
2. The Barry Gibb-tastic middle eight of "Lights" (at 2:20) is amazing - the whole song is very good, but that's my fave part. What is the opening bit ripped off of?
3. "Paul McCartney" harkens back to the vim, verve and vigor of their first CD. It has a kitchen sink production: party noise, spoken bits, etc. The wah wah-ish guitar after the chorus is hilarious, the bridge at 2:07 is grade A and the message is sweet: "is it the music that connects me to you?"
4. "The Other Side" is welcome because it breaks from the samey groove that mires some of the tracks. J'ason, the first time I heard this, I thought of Kylie's single as well. Did you notice the sax at 3:50 is right out of Duran and Spandau?

Be not confused, filthy gorgeous peoples, I will buy the CD and see if it grows on me some more. I may end up revising my opinion as I get to know the songs. Below is the best song that is NOT on Ta-Dah...

Scissors Sisters Backwoods Discotheque

The Times Online gives Ta-Dah a good review. Note that the new Q Magazine also has a very good cover story on the band. Little info about the CD, but some fascinating background on the very likeable Ana and Jake. They also drop the gossip that they're working again with Kylie (yeah!) and Roxy Music (!).

Watch them give performance of "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" on Channel 4 and below is a strange preview for the album:

11 comments:

Paul said...

jesus wept at the hair! i am stunned... i am slightly more in love with the album than most, but then my musical tastes have always been pretty easy to buy :) I'm a slut

Nick said...

I'm waiting until I get my copy to listen but you guys are scaring me! I can't imagine I'd be disappointed, though.

xolondon said...

you may love it. don't worry!!!!

PinkieDust said...

I heard the colour was to support Kylie. Theres a movement out there that suggests friends of cancer victims/survivors show their support during troubled times by either shaving their hair off or going one better by dying it a silly colour.

It must be weird for Ann Mantronic who appears to now have taken on the "Bez" role in SS. Shes nothing but a trophy wife for the band.

J'ason D'luv said...

I've been wondering what you thought about the album, bitch, since you never left a comment :*-(

I wasn't even the greatest fan of the first album, but I D'luv "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'", so they won me over to the point where I was actually looking forward to this album...

J'ason D'luv said...

And thanks x 10 for the shout out! I linked you up, too, in the OK Go writeup on the chart rundown...

John said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one strongly ambivalent about this one...

xolondon said...

J'ason you rub my back, I'll rub yours!

I don't think it's a terrible record,I get why Paul et al love it. But I do think it lacks variety. I am very critical these days. I am apparently the only person in America to despise Justine Timberrod.

J'ason D'luv said...

Oh, so that's how you play, eh? You wicked little starlet...

I'm still gonna wait to make a final decision on SS album till I get the full thing and not just the 10-song promo. That said, I think I'm the only one in America who isn't into downloading all these leaked albums. Something about a lawsuit just sounds so unsexy.

As for JT, I'm with you on that brotha.

xolondon said...

The lawsuits come from non-licensed distribution, to paraphrase my inside source!

Adrian said...

Interesting comments. I'm equally a little flattened by the album, sadly. I wanted to love it, but parts just didn't work for me. That said, when they're good, they're amazing.

And I also do wonder where the Ana is?

In fact, the whole album feels a little less camp, without her inclusion...

Nice new look, by the way!