August 27, 2006

Review: Kelis puts the shimmy in your cocoa pop.



The Kelis album is out now and its damn good. Period. Kelis has enough personality /smarts to work with a Humvee-full of producers and still sound like herself (unlike some other artists I have complaint with at the moment - hear me JT and JJ?). Yes, it is too long, but I just deleted about six songs from my iPod; someone else can have those and I'll stick with these favorites...

What's That Right There? What's this right here? Oh. This ain't nuthin' but a little sumtin' dat I got. This song should be titled "Hiding My Candy." It could easily be about tranny hooker who has picked up a john who -wink wink- likes a pretty lady. You know, with tiny lady testicles. Seriously, what exactly is she singing about ? An extremely large clitoris? A piercing? Big ol' badonkadonk? Whatever, it's damned catchy.

Till The Wheels Fall Off I love the whole I'm serious I'm serious refrain which I find myself repeating in my head. This is more of a groove than a song, but it encapsulates Kelis' weird merging of guitar rock, hip hop and old school soul horns.

Living Proof Kelis fans know that there is always something sweet on her records - she comes across as a wise city girl (in fuck-me pumps) who would be there for you in a pinch. Don't be fooled by her bravado or her grillz, she is an honest chick. Actually, I have no fucking clue, I'm just extrapolating from her music. Kelis, call me!

Lil Star Ms. Jones collaboration with Cee-Lo Green, the voice/soul of Gnarles Barkley is some fantastic shit. A big Camberwell carrot of a song! A soul classic that marches through its verses (carrying the star metaphor all the way) to a lovely caramel chorus supplied by Cee-Lo. I love the end of those choruses: Cause in the dark of night night you're all I can see and you sure look like a star to me. Instant pleasure.

Blindfold Me A bit hardcore for me, but I like this ode to bedroom tricks. Should I get in my Benz and go bounce it up and down at Haines Point (holla Krissy!). Love the bad grammar in the chanted chorus: when he wanted he blindfold me, then I get sexy on!

Circus K's manifesto about her career and the state of the biz. Listen close, Cassie. I like the merry-go-roundish feel to it. Which reminds me, this album does not have any circus barkers inviting you in to the greatest show on Earth - the most trite trick of the year.

I Don't Think So Oh ma gawwww. Like Kelis goes girl on girl with Joan Jett and Pink. Max Martin produced this soon-to-be-radio classic with a phenomenal multi-tracked b-chorus (or is it a middle eight?): you can drive, you can flyyyyy... Just because they want doesn't mean they can have you.

I could go but I will stop there. Please buy
Kelis Was Here and support our girl's Louboutin fetish.

4 comments:

sam said...

agree with you on all of the tracks. i especially love lil star because she confronts her b-list status in such a fucking classy way (and cee lo is the shit). the stuff i've heard off this disc kick's her last LP's as pretty hard. check out my (new and seldom updated) blog: samuelross.blogspot.com.

xolondon said...

It's very good. Meanwhile all the kiddies on PopJustice carry on about Fergie like she sits at the right hand of the Fatha...

J'ason D'luv said...

Love the Cee-Lo collab! And "I Don't Think So" is gonna rock it the roof when I do my first DJ gig in a few weeks! Scared about that one!

Meanwhile, my neighbor bought the CD, too, and the only way I know is that she keeps blasting "Trilogy" in her Lexus everytime she leaves or comes home....

xolondon said...

I keep forgetting where the comments are!

Anyway, where are you DJing? What else will you play. Your Kelis choice is perfect. Maybe Love Fight?