July 18, 2006

The Lady: Jesus Christ will you look at me?



I will be offline until Thursday pm, when I return with news of NYC...

So did you know that tonight I see The Lady Ritchie? Have I, like, mentioned it? When I was growing up I thought Madonna was the most beautiful woman on Earth. That was much of the attraction: how she looked and how she cared about that. As she's aged, she's gone through various good and bad looks. I think her appearance in the Confessions videos made her seem too thin, pinched and just... hard (don't get me started on that disco flip). Seeing this new picture makes me realize how so many women are much prettier when they don't really try. She's still beautiful. It's always her problem: she tries a bit too hard and letting go seems to be antithetical to her nature.

So I thought I'd post a song that goes with this picture - Intervention- a really pretty guitar ballad from the maligned American Life, an album that I think will be respected a bit more as time goes on. The lyrics on this song are fine - it's about her son Rocco - and the production verges on indie. I would love to hear some alternate mix of this album that produces all the songs in this more organic folk-rock vein. Madonna's family life seemed, for a time, to better her lyrics.

That leads me to post something new, a bootleg of the current live version of Live To Tell. This is the one she performs on a cross and will always be one of my favorite Madonna songs (I doubt I am alone on that?). It was the first song of her career on which she used her more natural lower range; up to that point she had been sucking on helium on a bit...

songs expired - sorry!

1 comment:

Paul said...

i love the new mix of Live to Tell - before it was my least fave single from True Blue but as it and i have matured i appreciate it a lot more now. hope you had a great time...