June 15, 2006

Rufus Wainwright's continuing education in how to be a legend

Last night at Carnegie Hall, Rufus Wainwright did an artistically brave thing, performing Judy Garland's 1961 Carnegie concert, song by song. I am really happy I get Rufus (some don't), because I think he is such a tenacious artiste. No resting on laurels, always challenging himself. He is building a really solid career. I really would've gone to this, but I just cannot stand most of Garland's songs! Especially that damned clang clang clang went the trolley song.

Read the New York Times review and Reuter's review of last night's show.

A few tidbits, just gleaned:

  • Martha Wainwright sang "Stormy Weather" and his mom performed the quiet encore with him.
  • There were numerous standing ovations.
  • He had a 40 piece orchestra with him. Sheesh!
  • Liza did not appear, but her blond sister Lorna Luft sang onstage with him.
  • Sam Mendes (aka Mr. Kate Winslet) not only filmed this show, but is also doing a documentary on the making of his album, which Rufus says will be "more intimate, and a little starker."

Recent pre-show press from the Philly Inquirer and the New York Post. Rufus also did tons of photo shoots for the publicity - above and below - and he is back in shape after getting a bit paunchy for awhile! I really need me some pants that fit as well as his in the picture above.


cunty bitch said...

what a hot bum!

DanProject76 said...


I look forward to the inevitable DVD although I am also not gay enough to have a Judy obsession.

xolondon said...

test post