June 23, 2006

Lily Allen will make you smyyyle



My post on the JoBoxers was not really out of the blue. I would call them skapop and the same term could be applied to some of the songs by ubercute/edgy Lily "I bin poppin my collar' Allen, who has been the Chloe Sevigny of the blogger set (minus bad clothes / weirdness) for a few months. Her first single was LDN (that's pronounced London, trolls!) and featured a brilliant cycling-through-London video. From that video alone - did you watch it, trolls? - how can you not like her?

Now Lily has a whole album coming out. Think of it as an orgy of influences: the Specials, Madness, JoBoxers, Neneh Cherry, the Kinks, a little Blur, The Jam and The Style Council (whenever I type that, I hear it in an accent that sounds like "Stoile Cownseeel"). All this is filtered through Lily's own off-kilter views of modern Brit life, city culture and people. It would sound great blasting out a car; it's the type of CD that has bits of dialog and hooksallover and layers of stuff going on.
Her lyrics dig much deeper than the tunes, so listen close.

That sharp-as-a-tack
Tremble Clef - who is within miles of me right now, I think!? - did a post on Everything's Wonderful that has mysteriously disappeared. RIAA troubles? I'd love to hear Lily collaborate with last years soul diva/rapper Estelle because they have a similar sensibilty that is basically sunny, but acknowledges the dark edges of life today.

The album is called
Alright...Still and is out July 17, same day as The Pipettes! Christmas in July for the New Pop. I should note that Lily is a sweet girl too: read this post about her bad night on stage. Love. Her. She makes we want to go down to the chippie in my street, eexcept that we don't have a chippie here and we don't say "in my street" in America. ..So it goes!

Must-see link:
Music Like Dirt's page of all thing Lily Allen
Must-see video: Smile below

10 comments:

Paul said...

now i really like lily allen - she does make me smile and she is kinda a breathe of fresh air to the charts. I love her song LDN - i think its incredibly witty and summery and along with the marvy pipettes i know are going to soundtrack my summer boozing. there are people from the city eating lunch in the park i believe that is called al fresco...

Jean. Ee. Us.

xolondon said...

I love the al fresco line!

J'ason D'luv said...

God, am I the only one that wants to jam a pitchfork through her face?

xolondon said...

Yes, bitch you are! :) Nice violent imagery from you today.

Actually I ignored her until I heard one song that I liked and then I finally got it. Same with Pipettes.

J'ason D'luv said...

:P I know, I know... it's just her rat-face makes me angry!

xolondon said...

Oh well, that is a toned down post. Rat face? She is cute (if a wee bit like the Stepford Wife Katie Holmes).

Paul said...

pitchfork poor little lily? where i am from a pitchfork is a dirty sex position. oh j'ason you filthy minx! she may have a rat arse face (albeit a moisturised one) but she and the pips make my summer happy. get on the love train mister fister!

J'ason D'luv said...

No, I'm sorry... you two boys must pay for your sins against the new Keane album! You spoke so ill of it for weeks, leading me into a sad vortex of depression... and it turns out it's awesome! Evil tricksters!

I say, off with Lilly's vagina!

Paul said...

as i justposted to the diva post before i got all caught up in being tied up (or something!) i like the new keane album and probably will pay retribution on my site at some point. now if this involves said jessica punishment so much the better... oh you boys have got me all rude!

J'ason D'luv said...

I'd like to put a pack of firecrackers up Lilly's sn*tc bag.