May 14, 2006

See how deep the bullet lies



Many artists have tried to cover Kate Bush's classic Running Up That Hill. The weirdest attempts have even deconstructed the melody, which is pathetic for a song so brilliant. It probably lives in my top ten songs of all time, and I'm not the only one who'd say that.

Claudia Brücken, ex of 80's band Propaganda, has done the first cover I think I've ever liked of this song. She did it with Andrew Poppy for the 2005 album, Another Language. They take it into a chanteuse-y, classical piano realm and preserve the melody and passion in the original. It's sublime...



Note that Claudia also did a lovely duet with Andy Bell this year called Love Oneself - seek it out.

3 comments:

Paul said...

ooo i thought i recognised her name - she is one of the highlights of the Electric Youth cd Andy released and certainly better than the Jake Shears duet... I kinda like this version but i am so in love with the Kate Bush sung track that its got a hard battle on its hands to win me over...

Paul said...

of course i meant Electric Blue. Fool!

babs said...

I'm downloading because am curious about it. I'm with Paul here. It's one of those moments whereby the song is such a classic that like tampering with it is heresy. I'm pretty picky about my re-makes. Some can work, but some are just painful. Can't think of any good ones right now. I love that album so much.