May 1, 2006

New music: Dangerous Muse



Aside from the new PSB and BWO records, my favorite pop music on the 'pod this past week has been "The Rejection" by Dangerous Muse. I'd seen these guys blogged in various places and thought, yeah, whatever, but it turns out they are great! "The Rejection" is a slinky piece of 80's new wave dancepop with hilarious lyrics (see below) and a heavy dose of... insouissance.

A few things to know about Dangerous Muse, who recently appeared on the cover of The Advocate's music issue (as much for their look as their sound...):

  1. They were signed to Sire Records by Seymour Stein. You'll remember that Madonna was signed to Sire Records by Stein, though I don't think he was in a hospital bed this time. They are now at #5 on the Billboard Hot Dance Play list, in the company of Madonna's "Sorry," which is about her 60th single.
  2. Their tracks are produced by Ted Ottaviano of Book Of Love (cool 80's pop band).
  3. The lead singer looks a bit like the manchild Josh Hartnett.
  4. They like to show their asscracks a lot
  5. They did some sort of collab with Marc Almond called "NeoBurlesque"
  6. Check out their myspace page to hear "The Rejection" or get it at itunes.

I noticed after I did this post that Oxygen Chunks had the same idea too! DM are hot right now!

9 comments:

Paul said...

i really really like Dangerous Muse and played Rejection A LOT on holiday. I even got little dazpanteloons into them a bit (hey he's down with the peeps who like to show their arsecracks!) and we hardly ever musically align... I am going to go and check some of their sexy myspace pics out now...

xolondon said...

I didn't realize you two did not agree on music. You are like the Jame Carville and Mary Matlin of pop! That allusion may be lost on a Brit though, sorry...

(politics - he got Clinton into office and he's married to SHE who is a Bushie.)

Chris said...

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree with XO and Paul here...

This is some of the most crap music I've heard in a long time. Recycled 80's twaddle.

Sorry XO! I agree with you 100% on Goldfrapp, but this strikes me as no more than schei├če -- image over substance.

V said...

Marc seems to be collaborating a lot with a lot of other bands. Mostly with up and commers. Now I'm wondering what else Ted has been producing lately.

xolondon said...

Jason we constantly disagree, so I am not too worried! I was referring to the one song "The Rejection" which I can't stop playing.

Daft Monk said...

The three Dangerous Muse tracks they've released so far are amazing. I noticed them a few months ago after reading some press about their label Cordless Recordings and was shocked by the quality. Glad you've gotten into them too.

Paul said...

I may be the only person in her majesty's fair isle that got that reference. I love American politics. it is even better than Veronica mars and that is one good realistic show (but sooo addictive and finally helping me get over buffy!) Yes yes sadly the pants known as Daz and i do not align musically. I blame his Bette Midler obsession, he ain't too fond of little Debbie Gibson. But we both hate the new keane single. I tried harder than he did to like it though!

Goggle said...

As I've said on my blog before (but noone reads it so noone knows) I'm excited for them not because I like their music but because they went to Fordham University, which is where I'm attending this autumn, and that makes me feel special. I try my hardest to think they're the best new band around, but I can't.

xolondon said...

I will read your blog!

I have a famous pic of Madonna wearing a Fordham shirt. I will find it for you. It should add to your lustre.