April 12, 2006

On Monday I saw a beast



On my way to work Monday morning I was playing Madonna's Reinvention Tour version of "The Beast Within" and listening to these words (from Revelations 13): "I saw a beast rising out of the sea with ten horns and seven heads... and to it the dragon gave his power / And the whole earth followed the beast with wonder."

It dawned on me as I headed to see George Bush that he probably knows this verse backwards and forwards, as he seems to be leading us into what he hopes will be The Rapture. Today's speech bore out my opinion of him as a total fake. He doesn't understand much of what he says.

The bad news for me was that I got relegated (by luck) into the overflow area, outside the room, while my friends sat on the 5th row! I had to watch the whole performace on a TV screen. What a fucking thrill. At least the reaction from students around me was honest, with groaning and laughter. Here is a choice sample from the Q&A - this made me bury my face in my hands as it was happening:

STUDENT: Thank you, Mr. President... My question is in regards to private military contractors. Uniform Code of Military Justice does not apply to these contractors in Iraq. I asked your Secretary of Defense a couple months ago what law governs their actions.

THE PRESIDENT: I was going to ask him. Go ahead. (audience laughter.) Help. (audience laughter.)

STUDENT: I was hoping your answer might be a little more specific. (audience laughter) Mr. Rumsfeld answered that Iraq has its own domestic laws which he assumed applied to those private military contractors. However, Iraq is clearly not currently capable of enforcing its laws, much less against -- over our American military contractors. I would submit to you that in this case, this is one case that privatization is not a solution. And, Mr. President, how do you propose to bring private military contractors under a system of law?

THE PRESIDENT: I appreciate that very much. I wasn't kidding -- (audience laughter) I was going to -- I pick up the phone and say, Mr. Secretary, I've got an interesting question. (audience laughter). This is what delegation -- I don't mean to be dodging the question, although it's kind of convenient in this case, but never -- (audience laughter) I really will -- I'm going to call the Secretary and say you brought up a very valid question, and what are we doing about it? That's how I work. I'm -- thanks. (audience laughter)

Anyway, what can we do? He is (hell)bent on his apocalyptic vision for the planet. All we can do is battle the conservatives as ruthlessly as they battle us. Maybe we can reach this vision without all fire and brimstone?

[From Revelations 21]
"Behold the dwelling of God is with men...
And God himself will be with them
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes
And death shall be no more
Neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore
For these things will have passed away"

5 comments:

Paul said...

Dear lord. my drunken emphasemic (sp?) dementia ridden aunt is more coherent than that. How terrifying. I went to school with a lad called George Bush. Tried to grope me in the music closet. Failed. I saved my first smooch for the magnificently named Manning Butts after rugby one rainy friday in 1991... Hell, if the worlds gonna end you gotta remember the good times...

xolondon said...

Manning Butts? Is your life like a movie or WOT?

J'ason D'luv said...

How were you able to even listen to Bush without covering your face and screeching?

He's so embarrassingly painful during speeches... but, whatever, it's trite to dis the fucker.

I feel like the Brits got through the long hell of Thatcher, and we're (hopefully) seeing the light at the end of the long, dark tunnel of this administration... only two years left... sigh.

Fingers crossed for this year's Senate elections.

Oh, and back to what's really important... Manning Butts. What? My first kiss was a broad named Rachel outside a mall in suburban Pennsylvania in May of 1988. Then, I didn't kiss a guy til Aaron on Halloween weekend of '94, during a drunken night in his dorm room. Ah, the '90s.

Paul said...

yes yes it was the aptly named Manning Butts. Barely got my rugby socks off when he inappropriately grazes my ass with his hand and gives me a *whatcha gonna do with that* look and then the best 3 minutes of my life at the point happened. Aah young love. His brother wrote the book Is Harry On The Boat fact fans...

(my first ever kiss however was a bird called Sonia - not the popstar - but she had a bit of a mustache so it was a bit like snogging Jim Fletcher from Cell Block H).

See what GWBJr does to a post??!

trill42 said...

Why do audiences laugh when he can't answer a question? How can they see it as lovably wacky rather than kinda horrifying? This isn't goofy neighbor Larry giving a terrible speech on Three's Company.