April 5, 2006

Moz, Track 2: Dear God, Please Help Me



Will you follow and know
Know me more than you do
Track me down
And try to win me?

The first time I heard this song, it was very early in the morning and I was not quite awake. I played it and literally had tears in my eyes. Maybe I was just overtired, but it is nonetheless one of the top 10 Morrissey tracks of all time. In my little book, at least.

Set on the streets of Rome, "Dear God" is about the way love and sex can bring a feeling of liberation. Of course, Morrissey expresses this as only he could do, with lines like "There are explosive kegs / between my legs" sung so delicately. The medley is the most accessible on the album and the arrangement, stretched to 6 minutes, lets the song really breathe. It's a triptych of sorts, with a spare opening, an organ based (heh!) middle and Ennio Morricone's awakening strings in the final third. The ending mantra is fucking chill inducing: "the heart feels free" he sings over and over until his voice disappears into the Roman crowd. Ringleader is worth its cost for this song alone.

Hear it via Aujourd'hui plus qu'hier...

4 comments:

Paul said...

I have never really paid much attention to Morrissey but feel i must at least catch up on his album as he is headlining at the V Festival in August which of course I am attending. Better bone up on my radiohead too. I'm a creep, sha la la

xolondon said...

Oh no, you're so fucking special!

John said...

What's genius about this tune is how he transforms an on-street cruisey pick up (really!) into a soul-liberating experience.

Who'da thunk?

xolondon said...

Wait, was that you **walking through Rome** behind Moz?!