April 17, 2006

Goldfrapp's Big Botch



When Goldfrapp released the Supernature CD last September, their US label delayed the American release so they could do better promotion here. Six months seemed extreme, but two people cannot be everywhere at once, so it seemed semi-plausible.

The first weird thing was the extent to which Mute (in the US) tried to prevent Americans from buying the CD. They did their best - and I have this from a reliable authority who knows a Mute rep - to make sure it was not available at brick'n'mortar stoes as an import. A shitty thing, considering you could get it on Amazon UK. Labels should be supporting brick'n'mortar retailers and I spit on those who do not. Regardless, US fans either bought the CD online or illegally downloaded it.

But now the story gets even stranger. The US release has been completely botched. Despite a nice special edition package out here in March, not only are Goldfrapp not touring America anytime soon, they are not touring at all! Shouldn't they be touring American clubs right now before hitting the summer festival circuit? Are they getting no financial backing or is there a problem with the band?

Their April diary consists of a whopping 2 TV appearances and their American "tour" in May is three West Coast shows and Letterman. What? And they want to sell this CD here? Sounds like a botch job to me. I would not be surprised if there is a split with Mute in the works.

As I type this post, I hear "Lovely 2 C U" on a BBC America show and Coke is running a commercial featuring "Ooh Lala." They deserve massive success - Supernature will go down as of the finest albums of the '00's - but it appears America is not on their radar.

7 comments:

countpopula said...

I totally agree with you. I run a CD store in the Philadelphia area, and I was informed by my sales reps that Mute had sent cease and desisit letters to US importers about attempting to bring in the Goldfrapp full length, as well as the Ooh Lala singles. I eventually got a few squeaked in from Japan which were very expensive, but that was the only choice. Goldfrapp are a fantastic band and could develop a great following here, but at this point I am not sure if it is Mute or Capitol/EMI to place blame on the lack of visibility. Caroline Distribution, which handles most Mute releases excepting Depeche Mode and classic Erasure, was gearing up to release and promote Supernature last fall, when they were told it was being delayed, followed by the announcement that Capitol had signed them for US distribution, of which EMI is its parent company. One would think that Capitol would be chuffed to have such a great addition to their roster, but you saw how successful they were promoting the last Fischerspooner release, and apparantly they recently let many NYC staffers go. It's difficult to build morale when your company is having so many internal problems. This being said, hopefully Capitol does not let this die so quickly and tries to get them some video play or radio adds in the US. It's surprising sometimes how a song gets a few plays and all of a sudden takes off. Goldfrapp's marketing and image is so fantastic, it would be a major disappointment to let them slide.

xolondon said...

I suppose one could say their image is wayyy too sophisticated for much of America, but hey, we've taken a shine to Imogen Heap over here. Goldfrapp has a great fanbase, but it would be nice for them to gain new fans with songs like "Number 1" which is so accessible.

Thanks so much for posting!Do it again sometime!

Your name makes me want some cereal. Now.

Daft Monk said...

The way the album is being handled in the US is completely frustrating to say the least. I blogged a bit about it last week after I found out on the morning that tickets went on sale about a local gig, not from any the band's newsletter or an ad in the newspaper, but from a ticketmaster bot I signed up for notifying me of any Goldfrapp shows. It shouldn’t be this hard to be a fan of a band.

xolondon said...

All sorts of new people cropping up on this post! I like your blog Daft. I'll bookmark it...

xolondon said...

PS: Your point that it shouldn't be hard to be a fan is well taken. That was one of the many reasons I gave up on Prince after years of obsessive fandom.

cunty bitch said...

i always get so pissed when a band doesn't get the promotion and backing they deserve from their label...while i'm happy to some extent that goldfrapp isn't known in the states, i'm also disappointed that the only exposure the US gets to goldfrapp is via coke commercials. whatever!

Chris said...

According to my Mute rep contact, they're "just getting started" promoting the record...

Somehow I don't buy it.

I'm just glad I got to see them at their one-off show in NYC in December!