April 4, 2006

The debonair sadist's MP3 picks

Today I got a spam email called Debonair Sadist. Nice named for a band isn't it? Anyway, I was so enveloped in Imogen Heap on my iPod this morning that I missed my train stop. I did not notice until I went through the turnstiles and thought, something is amiss. I had to pay another fare to get back in because the walk would have been too long, despite the beautiful weather (like 50 with blue sky and puffy clouds). Anyhoo, here are some MP3s to try:

Oxygen Chunks has Imogen Heap's new radio mix for "Goodnight and Go" (My Favorite Song of 2005... or maybe you knew that?). The changes will go unnoticed to the untrained ear, at least until the end when she kind of fucks up the glorious Jeff Beck solo with some dadada's.

Scatter o'Light features an epic love song. It's "She's A Mystery To Me" by Roy Orbison. This song was written for Roy by U2 and released in 1989. It captures all the vocal acrobatics Roy was known for and it's just beautiful. I used to play this on my wallkman over and over in college; I urge you to get it. Note also that there are nice piccies of Bono and the U2 version of the track.

You Ain't No Picasso posts a new song I've been waiting for: Camera Obscura's "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken". This song is a tribute to Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and the title comes from his amazing 1984 ballad "Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken." Note that the jaunty song sounds nothing like Lloyd, but it's cute nonetheless. [Shamma shamma Laurie!!]

OneLouder has a song all pop mavens should be familiar with. It's a seminal B52's track called "Legal Tender." This one has all the great elements of a B-52's song: kicky lyrics, a splice of new wave with a slight acoustic punk edge, surf guitar and girl group sing-along vocals. It also is notable for the fabulous bit you can sing along with: and heavy equipment! This one is circa 1983.


Michael said...

I love that B-52s song. I have always loved "Whammy!" - such a great record.

Where are the B-52 remasters!?!

And speaking of remasters, have you noticed the new tagline at the top of my blog? Dedicated to you...

xolondon said...

I love their cover of the Yoko Ono song "Don't Worry"!

xolondon said...

PS I just tried to buy it on itunes and I couldn't - I guess b/c the old bitty owns the rights. She is not wanting for cash.