March 28, 2006

Do the shuffle

Sorry I have been away! Better posts this week, I hope. I didn't find this iPod shuffle too illuminating, but I didn't cheat either... regardless, you get a few samples!

"The Gold Rush Variations" The Music Lovers While waiting for their new CD, we can listen to the songs we don't know so well from the old one!

"If You Don't Love Me" Kylie Minogue. Kylie turns this Prefab Sprout single into a jazzy cocktail hour song. Nice vocals. "You can tell me anything, I'll believe you..."

"Invisible" Alison Moyet (MP3). Ahhh!! A classic from high school. The album that this comes from, 1985's Alf is perfect. Everyone should be forced to own it.

"Stand Up For Love" Destiny's Child. Okay. This is embarrassing. Bouncey's attempt at becoming Diana Ross. End of story.

"I'm Sorry" Red House Painters. A recommendation from The Wyckoff Correspondent. Before he ran off with Will Young, he liked Mark Kozalek.

"Open Door" Bodies Without Organs. Another silly track. It's not bad for cheesy pop, but probably should not be on this iPod!

"Reconsider Me" Stevie Nicks. This one is a 198? cover of a Warren Zevon song. Everybody has covered this song because it's a secret classic. Check out Chrissie Hynde's just-released version on iTunes.

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" George Michael. Some might find this cover a bit mush, but his voice is crystalline on it, really pure. He is a brilliant singer determined to kill himself with a thousand tiny cuts, isn't he?

"Apocolyptic White Trash" Sandra Bernhard (MP3). This is a piece from her 1988 one-woman show Without You I'm Nothing. About nuclear war coming, Sandra surviving with Tina Turner and fantasizing that Sean Penn is dead ("Awwww fuck, don't tell me Sean is deaaaaad!?"). Expect more on Sandra this week...

"Return Of The Mack" Mark Morrison (MP3). Brit soul pop a la 1995ish. This is one of those songs that I never get bored of - it Makes. Me. Happy.

5 comments:

J'ason D'luv said...

Ah, Red House Painters. I always liked "Have You Forgot." Such a sad, sad song.

V said...

Invisible is such a great song and still like hearing it today. That first album had some great tunes. All Cried Out and Love Resurrection. Good stuff.

xolondon said...

I agree - I remember buying the 12" of one of those songs - it was in a paper-ish cover. That was the year I moved to DC.

Paul said...

I used to be so in love with that Kylie song - and totally forgot about it. Thanks for prodding it back into my memory :)

BWO - Open Door was the song that got me into la Organs. I prefer the ballad version, so pretty. It was one of my top songs of 2005.

Have you heard that british *talent* show runners up Journey South are releasing The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face as their first single. I nearly choked on my own vomit. I'd almost rather listen to stereophonics or even (shudder) Celine Dion's version...

xolondon said...

Honestly Celine's version is not too bad, all things considered.