January 10, 2006

2006: Introducing Corinne Bailey Rae

You may be looking at a major new star, though no one ever agrees with me. The world is littered with artists I annointed as The Next Big Thing - Phil Campbell, The Honeymoon, Patrick Wolf - talented people nobody else gave a damn about or missed in the sea of shit that the industry offers us. Still, Corinne Bailey Rae has a beautiful voice that blends the Jones's (Rickie Lee and Norah) with something classic like Billie Holiday, clean and sober. Her songs seem to have been born, fully formed, as standards, jazzy, poppy and tinkly. Yes, it is music for the Starbucks set, but hey, I drink Starbucks.

The self-titled album is not due until March 6, but I really like what I've heard from her recent KCRW performance. "Like A Star" and "Put Your Records On" are both terrific. Read and hear more on her website and consider buying her CD. I am sure there'll be a lot more buzz on her in the coming weeks... stay tuned! And yes, she's a Brit!

Thanks to The Smudge of Ashen Fluff for turning me onto Corinne. I'm basically co-opting their post!

No comments: