September 8, 2005

Whistle when we meet



It is very rare that I read a music profile I would ever consider emotionally moving, but this weekend John Hodgman of the New York Times wrote a beautiful piece on Antony of Antony and The Johnsons that left me feeling light and calm after I read it. I urge you to read it now - it's lengthy, but worth your time. I love Antony's quote about why he wears long hair on stage: ''It frames my face better and I feel better.'' Well said! You learn a lot about his influences here - how his music is an amalgamation of all that he is and wants to be. I should note that the final scene of this piece is particularly well written.

Last week Antony won England's Mercury Prize for his most recent CD I Am A Bird Now, beating out a lot of big names. If you've heard his music, you know that Antony is totally fearless - his voice is like a Victrola with a lisp. I'll admit I sold his album, which may have been a mistake! I still have a copy of it, so I'll dig it out. Two tracks I do have on my iPod: "Cripple and the Starfish" and "Fistfull Of Love" - both are genius. You can hear both of those and more on this page.

Watch a video here for "I Hope There's Someone"

10 comments:

cunty bitch said...

how sad his voice makes me. i've seen his albums in the stores but have never heard him until today. i think i know what cd i'll be buying next: I AM A BIRD NOW.

well, and any friend of laurie and lou's has GOT to be a friend of mine.

cunty bitch said...

couldn't wait--started downloading (will still buy of course). favorite song so far is "you're my sister" with boy george. antony makes me want to stop singing because i'm not as good.

cunty bitch said...

ok, so now you have me addicted to antony and i cried last night for the first time in a LONG time, listening to "cripple and Starfish" as well as "fist full of love". he's coming here to san diego sept 23 and I'M NOT MISSING THAT SHOW! :) thank you again and please keep posting those great entries because you are my official source of great music!!!

xolondon said...

Oh that's GREAT. Cripple is a great song - the lyrics are wee bit insane, but in a good way. I added the rest of the new CD to iPod and now I regret selling it.

apparently Antony gave a very endearing speech when he won the mercury award the other night in the UK

I also added Martha Wainwright. Have you heard "Bloody Motherfucking Asshole" yet?

cunty bitch said...

are you kidding me? i'm OBSESSED with martha!!!!! love all her songs...i am mildy interested in rufus but when i heard martha, i realized who really got the talent in the family. my favorite song is FAR AWAY because of the harmonic arrangement. i'm all about harmonies, which is why antony is breaking my heart so much. his structures are amazing.

V said...

Good article. Some of my favorites mentioned: Marc Almond, Laurie Anderson, Dimanada Galas.

Pretty moving song "I Hope.."

I may have to go further into it. You know me and all them sad songs.

cunty bitch said...

you've started an unhealthy obsession, my friend. i tried listening to marth a today. i tried listening to kathryn williams. but i can't--i always go back to antony. i'm going out to properly purchase "I am a bird now" today. :)

xolondon said...

and then the question is whether or not you'll become a collector, buying the singles.

PS Nice packaging on the CD, with the pic of Candy Darling. I still can't believe they had friggin' Stephen Dorff play her in a movie. Horrible, insulting casting.

cunty bitch said...

yes, i will have everything soon :) got the cd yesterday and am loving the songs i wasn't able to download (namely, "my lady story"). i'm also going to see him on sept 23 here in san diego! yeah!

cunty bitch said...

ew about candy's casting. the pic is gorgeous and adds to the concept of the album so much...it's so well done.