September 6, 2005

It's in the trees. It's coming.



We listened to the Hounds Of Love CD yesterday in the car and the title track really has to be one of my favorite songs of all time. I had this 12" single, but I forgot that the 12" version is a different recording with alternate lyrics. So value-added, Kate is! I also love the video, where she looks like Joan Collins and is handcuffed to the man. My favorite lines are probably as same for other fans - the part about the fox. This song is about a fear of falling in love, but that image is so strong on its own, without being a metaphor... Below are the lyrics. If you cannot hear the melody in your head as you read these, you have some work to do...

Hounds Of Love

It's in the trees! It's coming!

When I was a child
Running in the night
Afraid of what might be
Hiding in the dark
Hiding in the street
And of what was following me

Now hounds of love are hunting
I've always been a coward
And I don't know what's good for me

Oh here I go!
It's coming for me through the trees
Well, help me someone, help me please
Take my shoes off
And throwwwwwwww them in the lake
And I'll be two steps on the water

I found a fox, caught by dogs
He let me take him in my hands
His little heart, it beats so fast
And I'm ashamed of running away
From nothing real
I just can't deal with this
I'm still afraid to be here
Among your hounds of love
And feel your arms surround me
I've always been a coward
I never know what's good for me

Oh here I go!
Don't let me go!
Hold me down!
It's coming for me through the trees
Well help me darling, help me please
Take my shoes off
And throwwwwwwwww them in the lake
And I'll be two steps on the water

I don't know what's good for me
I don't know what's good for me
I need love, love, love, love, yeah
Your love
Take your shoes off
And throwwwwwwwww them in the lake

Do you know what I really need?
Do you know what I really need?
I need la la la love, love,
Yeah


© 1985 by Kate Bush Music Publishing Ltd./EMI

As a bonus, here is my favorite Kate Bush single cover, for Cloudbusting



Yes, it is my intent to create Kate Bush hysteria.. .is it working?

7 comments:

The Dancing Kids said...

YES.

cunty bitch said...

it's working and i adore you for it!!!

cunty bitch said...

i think it's just me and princess yum yum that care and that's SAD! where are all the kate bush fans at?

babs said...

Yes. Gosh, I miss her. She's just great. In many different ways. That album is a classic. What's the next one of hers that is? I like Never for Ever myself. Okay, I may have to break out my tapes. So sad. :).

xolondon said...

I wonder if I can work on commission for Kate?

V said...

I'm also a fan. Not a super-fan like you guys, but a fan who really loves the album "Hounds.."

cunty bitch said...

well, what good are YOU?! J/K! Just buy the new Kate album and you will redeem yourself.

You should get commission! I'll pay you in SASS!