August 18, 2005

What I'm listening to...

Bob Mould: Days Of Rain (iTunes) Pretty guitar ballad with nice harmonies and strong vocals at the halfway point. Proves that Mould is neither history nor Cher! I love the line "I am fragile now, beat about the head."

Fiona Apple: O Sailor (
iTunes or hear it in full at her website) Leaked last year. This official release has been re-recorded, but retains the calliope music effect. It's vintage Apple on arrival. The harmony vocals at about 4:40 were a shock. Fave lines:

Everything good I deem too good to be true
Everything else is just a bore
Everything I have to look forward to
Has a pretty painful and very imposing before

Lyrics Born: I've Changed My Mind (Stereo MC's Mix) (iTunes) I believe this IS a Stereo MC's hit (Connected?) from the 90's, redone, and used the other night as the credits roller on Entourage. Craggly vocals with a complex, fast lyric - it's a song for players.

Death Cab For Cutie: Marching Bands Of Manhattan (
iTunes) Epic! The first song off their new CD Plans. This encapsulates everything good about this band. I like Ben Gibbard's voice best when it's surrounded by good instrumentation and this track is all about the bass for me. It has also a great chorus:

Sorrow drips into your heart through a pinhole
Just like a faucet that leaks
And there is comfort in the sound
But while you debate half empty or half full
It slowly rises
Your love is gonna drown

No comments: