June 28, 2005

Some high art: Lady Windermere's Fan

This post is more for my trolls, especially in DC:

On Saturday night I saw the excellent play
Lady Windermere's Fan - starring kick-ass Dixie Carter- at the Shakespeare Theatre here in Washington. I'll spare the details here, but I met Dixie Carter after the show and she lived up to every expectation! What I didn't know before I saw the play is that many of Oscar Wilde's best lines come from its text. Here are some favorites:

"I can resist everything but temptation"

"In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. The last is much the worst."

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."

"Nowadays to be intelligible is to be found out."

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

"'What is a cynic?' A man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing."

and my favorite:

"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality."

Some details about seeing the show, which runs until July 31st. If you live here, GO. If you want to meet Dixie, send some flowers down with a note before the show and they will put you on a list. Why do I think no readers of this blog will be going?

No comments: