June 23, 2005

"I made a lot of mistakes..."


I've been loving this euphoric new song by Sufjan Stevens (pronounced Sufyan) song called "Chicago" from his new CD Illinoise. Perhaps he should have Christopher Guest do Guffman style video?

Previously I had confused Sufjan with Devendra Banheart, who is a bit of freak, IMO. Sufjan, who seems to be the Walt Whitman of pop (check out the song titles on the new record), is like a cleaned-up hippie pied piper of all things Americana. Eg: One track is called "Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I shake the dirt from my sandals as I run."

Hear "Chicago" by going to this BBC 6 link and moving ahead to 19:10 (you may need to sit through a Coldplay track!) OOPS -It is now dead.

Download "All Good Naysayers" from his last CD Michigan. More on Sufjan here.

No comments: